• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non-Anime: Big Fish & Begonia, will ANN review it?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc Nix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Just curious since I saw this on the Funimation release schedule, was wondering if ANN is planning on reviewing the Chinese animated feature film release Big Fish & Begonia (Da Yu Hai Tang)?

https://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/bigfish/

This isn't anime, by definition or otherwise, but it looks like it sure as heck wants to be. (But it also has some style of its own, albeit very Avatar'ish / Boondocks'ish in what it loots from "anime style"; the story seems distinctly Chinese to me, which is a plus for it being its own thing even if it may be trying to slip in and sell to anime watchers.)

Whatever the movie is, I believe I've seen some manhua and OEL and other not-Japanese manga coverage on the site over the years (maybe? dunno, can't say I pay it much attention), and the site does features every once in a while to catch up on the state of Korean or Chinese or other animation and comic industries. And it is considered a "landmark" creation introducing China as a producer of blockbuster-caliber animated entertainment. But it's still not traditional ANN fare, in the least (and it's not like there's manpower to spare with Spring Anime starting up and everything,) and it's not clear if it's something that would resonate with ANN's core readerbase no matter where it was produced.

So, I'm sure I answered my own question, just curious about it and its resonance since there's no Chinese Cartoon News Network that I know of to go post about it...

(*Side-note to MODS, I think this is close to where this type of post is supposed to go ... please move if I guessed wrong.)
Marc Nix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1