• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, April 23-29

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nutella_Souffle

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote
Regarding Darling in the FranXX:

I'd like to point out that Oricon does not count any data of products that are sent overseas from any shop (source: CDJapan). DitF's popularity overseas is high enough to positively declare that they've already sold more than enough copies to foreigners (anywhere from 500 to 1000 at least), and that's despite the fact that Japanese BD/DVD doesn't have English subtitles.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote
I’m glad to see A Place Further than the Universe selling well. Seeing the solid sales for Overlord II make me happy also. The numbers for Hakumei and Mikochi look okay, but I would have liked them to be higher.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
That's actually way more than I was expecting to see for Hakumei to Mikochi. Good to see.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I’m glad to see A Place Further than the Universe selling well. Seeing the solid sales for Overlord II make me happy also. The numbers for Hakumei and Mikochi look okay, but I would have liked them to be higher.

Overlord sales are kinda decent but still 50% lower then what the 1st season sold so i wish it was higher atleast above 10k but seems like that wont be happening Neutral I hope this lower sales wont prevent them from making more seasons in the future.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Darling in the Franxx is selling pretty well especially for something that doesn't have a built in audience (it's not based on any source material).

Osomatsu-San, on the other hand, is having catastrophic sales compared to the first season...I guess it really was a short-lived fad.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
IDOLiSH7 is so good, I was pretty worried it'd be eclipsed and low sales would be an excuse for not making a second season, especially with the way the western viewers have been brushing it off as "another cookie-cutter idol show".

I love idol shows in theory, but there have been few I've actually enjoyed in execution. IDOLiSH7 has realistic characters with personalities, problems and development, and it even highlights some of the uglier sides of the industry, but still remembers when to be fun.
Music's surprisingly good too. Really wasn't expecting songs by kz.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Osomatsu-San, on the other hand, is having catastrophic sales compared to the first season...I guess it really was a short-lived fad.

Season 1 was lightning in a bottle; it’d be unfair to expect S2 to repeat those astronomical numbers when most anime would kill to have the numbers it’s making now. Besides, there’s still plenty of mobile app games, ads, magazines, stage plays, and doujinshi being made of this show in Japan, so it’s far from a short-lived fad. It’s just no longer solely reliant on disc sales anymore.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:
Blankslate wrote:

Season 1 was lightning in a bottle; it’d be unfair to expect S2 to repeat those astronomical numbers when most anime would kill to have the numbers it’s making now. Besides, there’s still plenty of mobile app games, ads, magazines, stage plays, and doujinshi being made of this show in Japan, so it’s far from a short-lived fad. It’s just no longer solely reliant on disc sales anymore.

Are any of those successful, though? It seems like all of the cross-promotions with Osomatsu-san have become more and more sparse.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:
Season 1 was lightning in a bottle; it’d be unfair to expect S2 to repeat those astronomical numbers when most anime would kill to have the numbers it’s making now.

I agree, but still, the first season averaged 66k. Even one-quarter of that total would be 16.5k, which the second season is lagging far behind. In all honesty, this is completely unprecedented for a series to nose-dive so fast from one season to the next.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
Kinda sad about Overlord II underperforming in comparison with the first season. I really enjoyed this one but I had a feeling it was going to do as well considering it's basically "secondary characters featuring Momonga-sama"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1