• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Navigator Runa's Miyoko Ikeda Writes Sailor Moon Novels

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
Hopefully the writer is allowed some creative freedom to change things for the novels like the 90s anime did as straight foreword adaptions of the manga do not work well.

Last edited by Zeino on Thu May 10, 2018 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
So how many retellings of the Dark Kingdom does this add up to? They already had a novelization of La Reconquistia released in Japan and if we count the Tokyopop DiC novels, that's at least eight adaptations of the Dark Kingdom arc we've had so far with this year's musical being another retelling. I still hope though Kodonsha USA will release this novelization in English so we can actually read it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
While I love the manga Michiyo wrote, I never pass up the chance to point out how changing "youkai" to "fairy" is the worst translation choice ever.

That completely ruined the English release for me. I had to keep reading the word "fairy" "fairy" "oh no, this fairy is dangerous". It was freaking stupid. "Youkai" has the image of "centipede monster", not f***n Tinkerbell....shame shame SHAME on the translator.

"Youkai Watch" is left as "YOUKAI WATCH" and that show is aimed at seven-year-olds watching the Disney channel.

To return to topic.....basically, I'm *very* tired of the SM franchise now. (I think Crystal just killed it for me for a while xD). I'd much prefer an official English release of the Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne novels (yes, that's been a thing for a few years and it's a better series that needs way more attention.)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I hope it gets licensed.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So how many retellings of the Dark Kingdom does this add up to? They already had a novelization of La Reconquistia released in Japan and if we count the Tokyopop DiC novels, that's at least eight adaptations of the Dark Kingdom arc we've had so far with this year's musical being another retelling. I still hope though Kodonsha USA will release this novelization in English so we can actually read it.

Agreed. I think a side story or something that expands on the events in the main plot would be far more interesting than yet another retelling of the same old story line. Ideally a continuation novel would be fantastic, but Naoko Takeuchi seems to be done expanding on the universe she created, and is content with letting others reiterate it instead.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see them branch out into other material again, but yeah. Just reiterating from the beginning gets old. I'd love to see Chibiusa get her own story arc in the future with the Amazon Senshi.

I'm really waiting and hoping for another live-action adaption. TToTT
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1