Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Battleship Yamato 2202 Anime Film Series Gets TV Version this Fall


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
donhumberto



Joined: 19 Jan 2017
Posts: 518
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:06 am Reply with quote
Great news. TV series always get more popular these days than OVAS and this is a fantastic series that needs all the love it can get
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheMorry



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 526
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:26 am Reply with quote
Isnt the tv version already going on dubbed by Funimation already? Or am i just stupid?...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DamianSalazar



Joined: 25 Jul 2017
Posts: 93
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Isnt the tv version already going on dubbed by Funimation already? Or am i just stupid?...


It's an edited version of the movies that have been released.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Banjo



Joined: 13 Dec 2010
Posts: 740
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 am Reply with quote
does it end like farewell space battleship yamato? Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 394
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
Isnt the tv version already going on dubbed by Funimation already? Or am i just stupid?...


It's an edited version of the movies that have been released.


Which is the TV version, save that they may change the OP/ED. Other than that, no difference. They're already broken up into episodes for the Blu-Ray and DVD which is available on the cinema premiere day.

Banjo wrote:
does it end like farewell space battleship yamato? Twisted Evil


Nobody knows. There are still 3 movies forming 12 episodes that are yet to be released.


Last edited by ValkyrieZeroZeroOne on Thu May 17, 2018 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZeetherKID77



Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Posts: 828
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
does it end like farewell space battleship yamato? Twisted Evil

It's been stated by the president of Voyager that they have another Yamato project already in development and I heard that in another interview it was said that after this they'd be doing original content in the universe. So no, it's likely not going to end that way.

spoiler[Besides, Yuki has already died once before in 2199]

The TV cut will likely be the same as the one for 2199 where they add a few things but mostly just change the opening and ending. Nothing big and it lends itself better to the format unlike Gundam Unicorn...


Last edited by ZeetherKID77 on Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 394
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Banjo wrote:
does it end like farewell space battleship yamato? Twisted Evil

It's been stated by the president of Voyager that they have another Yamato project already in development and I heard that in another interview it was said that after this they'd be doing original content in the universe. So no, it's likely not going to end that way.

spoiler[Besides, Yuki has already died once before in 2199]


The next project is going to be the continuation of Resurrection. No projects past that have been announced.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZeetherKID77



Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Posts: 828
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Banjo wrote:
does it end like farewell space battleship yamato? Twisted Evil

It's been stated by the president of Voyager that they have another Yamato project already in development and I heard that in another interview it was said that after this they'd be doing original content in the universe. So no, it's likely not going to end that way.

spoiler[Besides, Yuki has already died once before in 2199]


The next project is going to be the continuation of Resurrection. No projects past that have been announced.

When did that come up? I know they were trying to make Resurrection a trilogy but that was back in 2012 when the director's cut happened. Either way I don't think they'd end the new stuff here since it's become such a hit (the number of theaters showing chapter 5 increased from the ones showing chapter 4)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 394
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:58 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

When did that come up? I know they were trying to make Resurrection a trilogy but that was back in 2012 when the director's cut happened.


Maybe I'm just imagining it. I seem to remember it being in one of the interviews, but I can't find it. Though I'm pretty sure one of the Yamato Crew's Ship's Logs magazines had an interview mentioning it.


Last edited by ValkyrieZeroZeroOne on Thu May 17, 2018 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZeetherKID77



Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Posts: 828
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

When did that come up? I know they were trying to make Resurrection a trilogy but that was back in 2012 when the director's cut happened.


I'd have to look it up, but I believe it was either in one of the many interviews in Yamato Crew's Ship's Log, or it was mentioned when Tim Eldred, myself, and a number of our friends somehow managed to end up with Shouji Nishizaki at the end of our table when we dined at Yakitori Yamato (owned by Nishizaki) on Chapter 1 opening day.

I remember reading that, all that Tim said in the writeup was "there's another project in development"...nothing about Resurrection but I could be wrong :V
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 394
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:06 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

When did that come up? I know they were trying to make Resurrection a trilogy but that was back in 2012 when the director's cut happened.


I'd have to look it up, but I believe it was either in one of the many interviews in Yamato Crew's Ship's Log, or it was mentioned when Tim Eldred, myself, and a number of our friends somehow managed to end up with Shouji Nishizaki at the end of our table when we dined at Yakitori Yamato (owned by Nishizaki) on Chapter 1 opening day.

I remember reading that, all that Tim said in the writeup was "there's another project in development"...nothing about Resurrection but I could be wrong :V


Like I said in my edit, I could be wrong as well. I just remember it being mentioned that Resurrection would be the next project. May have just been speculation.

In any case, if it is Resurrection, it won't be something garnering my interest. I'm not a fan of any original-saga Yamato production after Be Forever, Yamato.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12668
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
So, is this essentially a TV version of an anime film series that is a compilation of a TV anime that is a loose remake of the original "Yamato" series ? In addition, the "2202" films are a remake of the 2nd "Yamato" TV anime series. Talk about complex.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 394
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:19 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
So, is this essentially a TV version of an anime film series that is a compilation of a TV anime that is a loose remake of the original "Yamato" series ? In addition, the "2202" films are a remake of the 2nd "Yamato" TV anime series. Talk about complex.


It's more like the episodes are edited and joined into a feature-length film (they're written as episodes), and the episodes have already been sent to the BD/DVD printers for release on the day (limited numbers are available with collector's storyboard book prior to the general release a month or two later).

As for the story, it's a combination of both the movie Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato and the Yamato 2 TV series, both of which told the same main story but had variations in plot and some (read: Gatlantis) character designs (both were in production simultaneously, the movie premiered first, but was still running in the cinemas when the TV series premiered).

So far, 2202 spoiler[has been more the movie than the TV series, but has also been branching out on its own original subplots as well. Events in the upcoming chapter cover events that didn't take place until several episodes later in the original TV series].
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arsenette



Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:57 am Reply with quote
I’m still hoping they go the tv version of comet empire.... I prefer that version of treleina/Teresa than the movie version that they are rebooting now...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wrangler



Joined: 11 Nov 2007
Posts: 1263
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
What going be difference between Yamato 2202 TV and the film series aside from it being cut up version?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group