• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exclusive: Haikara-San: Here Comes Miss Modern Film's English Dub Clip Shows Benio Struggling

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
She kind of sounds like Erica Mendez to me.
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:10 am Reply with quote
I have tickets to this and can't even tell if it's a sub or dub version -_- . You'd think they could be more clear about it on the websites of Eleven Arts or the theater company.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:03 am Reply with quote
Your theater listing would tell you if the screening is dub or sub.
I've never seen otherwise with anime screenings. There's always been an indication of dub or sub for all the theatrical play dates where it's one or the other.

I'm lucky I'm in a decently big market. There are at least 3-4 theaters in my area that regularly screen anime. At worst, a film may only appear at the "local art theater" but the bigger films generally appear at an AMC branch, the local Carmike theater, or another chain. They're getting pretty decent penetrations/showings of anime features in the larger US markets. That's one of the fringe benefits of where I live.

Now, as for Haikara-san, all of the ANN articles I've read indicated "All screenings will be in Japanese with English subtitles."

The dub is being done for the eventual home video release.
I had the impression they were still working on the dub as the film screens in North American, SUB-ONLY.

Most anime that's been licensed by GKids that plays in theaters has the dub finished ahead of theatrical screenings (in North America) and they will generally show the dub on alternating playdates with the subbed version. That's how it always was with the movies they bothered to dub into English. I do think there may have been 1 or 2 films that were obscure enough that they didn't bother to dub them and those WERE Ghibli films. One of them might have been Ocean Waves but I have to find my personal copy. It's buried under a ton of other unwatched Blu ray's I've bought in the last 2-3 years!

What happened with Fate/SN: Heaven's Feel and its dub is unusual.... They don't normally screen a dub version of a movie 6-7 months after the subbed version was in theaters. They're only doing that for Fate/SN: HF because it's popular right now.

For Haikara-san, you'll have to wait for the home video release to hear the dub track. Again, there's no indication anywhere I've read on ANN that they even finished producing the dub track!
I still plan on seeing the film this Saturday. It looks very interesting to me!
I've inevitably bought at least 90% of the theatrical anime I've watched later on home video. That's been the case for 20 years now. My Hollywood video purchasing is in the exact opposite direction! Maybe 10% of the NEW films they release actually end up on my video shelf... I'm just thoroughly disappointed by the North American entertainment industry right now.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
From now on, I shall refer to all of my knife utensils as mini swords.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
I can't believe we're getting it in my small city (metro population 1 million). Usually I'd have to drive to Detroit or Chicago for any non-Miyazaki anime movie.
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Your theater listing would tell you if the screening is dub or sub...

That's what you would think but I see no mention of it on my local theaters site where you look up listings or the site it takes you to to purchase tickets. The other confusing part is the Seven Arcs website lists a number or theaters with a [sub] or [dub] next to the theater name but not all of them.

Thanks for the clarification though, I prefer a sub myself so if that's what I'm getting then that's a bonus for me Smile

Funny thing, I watched Ocean Waves last night. It's not very remarkable but not too bad!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1