• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Masaaki Yuasa Responds to Critic's Poor Review of Devilman Crybaby

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
that critic sounds like one of those always angry/negative posters that you'd find on ANN or any typical anime forum.
Calico

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Having not watched Devilman Crybaby, I totally don't get this guy's criticisms. Is he upset that something became popular that didn't pander enough to "otaku tastes" or something? That it's somehow worse by not "utilizing Japanese anime culture", whatever the heck that means?

Like, I honestly can't fathom what "utilizing Japanese anime culture" would entail in this context. Does he want Devilman isekai or something?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can't really comprehend for what exactly Kurose criticize Crybaby. For trying to deviate the series from the mass of anime that appealing to otaku only? Because after all that he's said (well, I can't translate much of his statement), I can only understand only this basis.
Quote:
said that some late-night anime are of much higher quality.

And there I would be interested to find out what he considers a good examples of plot and direction. Besides that I have certain claims to the flaws of Crybaby plotline and direction, which I honestly can call easily - I would not rush such a voluminous statement without specific examples to prove that it's right.
And yeah, comparing Crybaby to Pop Team Epic will need a serious brain bleach.

And yes, Yuasa answered completely politely to that level of low-effort critic, that's good.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm also somewhat puzzled by the complaints. I guess the first thing that comes to mind is that Netflix is a large international company. If it's gonna throw money at something, it might as well have a large enough audience to make it worth while. But what even is the difference here between "subculture" and "otaku" anime? Like, an arthouse film vs. average isekai stuff?

But that doesn't even really apply here. Watching the series, I didn't think, "oh, this is arthouse fare." I thought, "oh, this is Yuasa doing hyperviolence." Maybe he was appointed because his style is different or appeals to a larger demographic, but again, why criticize the fact that a director has a style? The criticism isn't that Kurose dislikes that particular style... just that it has one to begin with. And that seems to be the root of the complaints. "This looks different compared to the industry standard so I dislike it."

And even if we do get some arthouse anime thing, so what? Many late night series suffer from being too bland. The sort of films young animators make during school often looks nothing like a typical late night anime. I'd love to see series more released that are super stylized or abstract or weird. They and otaku anime can exist side by side.
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I do not think the art that Yuasa employed in this series is bad. Some choices with Flash may have been at certain times, especially in parts that might have used a way to better animate one scene or another. Contundo this does not make the series of low quality. Yuasa's style is his identity as a director, and the Science Saru as a studio. Many imbeciles complain of Trigger studio because its directors like energetic and out of control styles in their animation. A good part of his series is like that.

People confuse ability to animate vs designer. Yuasa opted for digital tools, which he continues to pursue, always hoping to find new and more practical ones. Just as the members of Trigger animated series with more fixed designer, like Evangelion, so also animated series more like FLCL, Gurren Lagann and Kill the Kill.

Common studios work within the common scope: they arrange designers, then hire animators who in turn will do everything within that established order. At the end of the day the animation will be well crafted, and with the designer intact, in the director's style. Studios made by name artists can not be similar to others. That's why studios like Madhouse and GAINAX have gotten an identity for themselves. It's no different from Trigger and Science Saru. Even Kyoani and Ufotable themselves can enter into the realm of studios whose creators have created their identity.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
If this guy is a prominent anime critic in Japan, then the state of anime criticism over there is even worse than I imagined.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Ronie Peter wrote:
I do not think the art that Yuasa employed in this series is bad.
Well, the critics wasn't all about the art style (yeah, this is one of Yuasa staples - so you can exactly to tell who it is, just looking at this trippy scenes and wonky animation) at all. The critic was all about Crybaby is "mere subculture" anime with bad story, plotlines and direction, but what exactly made it that "subculture" anime according to that critic - I can't even comprehend. It's completely low-effort statement.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
So basically this Kurose guy is a xenophobe who's mad that Crybaby was made with an international audience in mind? Because that is what I'm getting from this.

Last edited by Zeino on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I have not watched Devilman Crybaby yet, but I have watched other anime from Yuasa. What I gather from the "critic" is that he seems butt hurt that an unconventional anime creator like Yuasa has found international appeal without tying himself to the conventions that otaku like to see in the medium. I wonder if this critic is voicing the thoughts of other Japanese anime fans that don't like the idea of anime becoming increasingly global.

I will always defend anime creators that think outside the box. I want to keep seeing anime aimed at otaku being made because it is an integral part of the medium, and it has produced a lot of money for the industry. But I also want to continue seeing more creators like Yuasa, Ikuhara and Urobuchi involved because anime is an amazing entertainment medium that lends itself to interesting and artistic thought provoking works.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
So basically this Kurose guy is a xenophobe who's mad that Crybaby was made with an international audience in mind? Because that is what I've getting from this.
Not with "international audience in mind", but "not enough otaku appeal and being the japanese anime, so it's subculture". But yeah, that's the same level of low-effort.
Seriously, is that guy underpaid or something?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
What an isolationist dickhead. Clearly he doesn’t know that Devilman is a pretty sizable property here, so it can’t be ruined by external influences. Must be the weeaboo version of that guy who gave the only negative review of Get Out on Rotten Tomatoes - or the weeaboo version of Trump.

Plus, Yuasa’s work is far from mainstream, unless you count that one Adventure Time episode. Do you know how frustrating it is knowing that a Tatami Galaxy dub doesn’t exist?

Last edited by Gemnist on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
There are legitimate criticisms of the series despite my enjoyment of it...it's just he didn't list any.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
He knows this is based off of Go Nagai's manga, right? Since he's so vague in his criticism, it's hard to tell if he even realizes that much.
belldandy.99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Let me translate.

Basically he is saying that the anime does not embrace japanese otaku, meaning it lacks japanese otaku pandering = shameful moe and fanservice and waifus just for the hell of it in order to appeal to hardcore japanese otaku.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
He’s mad... because the show doesn’t cater specifically to Japanese audiences? God what a pleb this guy is.

Guess it’s a good time to break out this picture

Seriously dude, you just gotta accept that anime has a bigger audience now.

Honestly, I’m totally in favour of projects like this. Much better than Netflix taking shows aimed at a Japanese audience and holding them ransom for 3 months.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7