• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Event Report: Hatsune Miku Expo 2018 in New York City

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a great time. Personally I really don't care for most of these vocaloids. The only ones I really enjoy are Miku, IA, and Megpoid.

Quote:
Finally, Miku sang “Melt” as the actual final song. “Melt” is almost ten years old and came out at the beginning of Miku's career

I have to nitpick here. Melt is over ten years old now. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1715919 You can see here, it was uploaded on December 7th, 2007. Closer to 11 years now.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I attended this show and the (afternoon) NYC event in 2016. The visuals this year were certainly more sedate than those two years ago, but I have to say that I preferred this year's setlist. That said, they were both great shows, and I'd go again if Miku-chan and friends came back in 2020! Smile
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
I attended this show and the (afternoon) NYC event in 2016. The visuals this year were certainly more sedate than those two years ago, but I have to say that I preferred this year's setlist. That said, they were both great shows, and I'd go again if Miku-chan and friends came back in 2020! Smile
Does this only happen every 2 years? Seems kind of weird
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it was a great setlist!
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Does this only happen every 2 years? Seems kind of weird

Miku's been in NYC in 2014, 2016, and 2018. The latter two appearances were part of a North American tour.

A brief history of Miku Expo (a subset of all live performances): https://mikuexpo.com/history

I'm happy to hear that Miku is headed for Europe for the first time this coming December: London, Paris, and Cologne.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Every single concert, Len always steals the show.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Miku's been in NYC in 2014, 2016, and 2018. The latter two appearances were part of a North American tour.

Darn, does this mean they're not going to plug her tour on another NYC late-night network talk show, now that David Letterman isn't around to ruin it anymore?
Was sort of hoping we could get a do-over.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I must be old, because I've still not been able to grok the whole Miku thing.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Went to the 2016 one and this one. Prior to that I've seen a concert on video, but it's not the same as experiencing it in person. Best I can describe it, it's like being in the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Very surreal and fun experience.

Enjoyed the set this year but I wish they would do more duets or some of the songs that feature 3 of the singers that I see on the Sega video games. I mean I know Miku is the star, but she's REALLY the star of the show. At least let the other singers take a bow at the end of the show or something.

Still had a fun time and the beers were 10 bucks, which is a lot but at baseball stadiums in New York it's even worse than that. Oh and it's a lot more fun if you get drunk but what isn't lol!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
I've got my ticket and light stick for London. Cool
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I must be old, because I've still not been able to grok the whole Miku thing.

Even if some may disagree about the talents of computer voices vs. organic ones--
Cuteness is still the universal language : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDsFMpfFW7k Anime smile

(Perhaps Rin Kagamine's appeal might be conventionally easier to understand for beginners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwv_WK1XaSM )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1