• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Expo 2018: Alita: Battle Angel Panel Report

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When I saw the original art that he made back in 2005 when he was going to make this film, he had Alita being photoreal with manga eyes, which is something you've never seen in a film before. Jim always presents something you've never seen before, whether it's the silver T-1000 or liquid metal, or the Titanic sinking, or a fully-realized race of people in Avatar…

One can certainly make the neutral claim that Alita's manga eyes are something we have never seen before in live-action. Of course, one can also make the more partial claim that there is a good reason why this is so...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
One can certainly make the neutral claim that Alita's manga eyes are something we have never seen before in live-action. Of course, one can also make the more partial claim that there is a good reason why this is so...

It's one peculiar decision to say the least. There are likely better ways to make Alita stand out and be different from everyone. There's a reason big eyes don't work in the real world and are better suited to the animation and cartoon art medium.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this. Really looking forward to the movie.

Really liked the last two trailers a lot.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I love her eyes. They are highly appealing - in both senses of the word.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with the eyes, however, even if I did I doubt they would be noticeable more than five minutes into the show. It is amazing how quickly the brain adapts to such things.

I do find it interesting that the trailer shows her operating a fully mechanical body and all that people fuss about is the eyes.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

maybe... just maybe, it is time people got over the eyes and gave this film a chance?
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I've never been bothered by the eyes, but have certainly been annoyed by the people complaining about them.

The panel interview really does sound like they may be doing right by this story. Here's hoping.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
What worries me the most is the release date. That's right in the middle of the typical oscar movie dump. I feel like it's not going to get as much in revenue with that date. Even releasing just 1 month sooner would benefit it more I think.
Varkias

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I do find it interesting that the trailer shows her operating a fully mechanical body and all that people fuss about is the eyes.

Well, it's the eyes that trigger the uncanny valley. The mechanical body is far away enough from natural that it's easier for the brain to accept as an effect.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
@Varkias

They didn't trigger anything for me. I didn't even notice the eyes until I saw all the complaints and went back to look at the trailer. I think some of the complaints are feeding off the publicity. People are approaching the trailer with the assumption that they will be upset and, not surprisingly, they are. I don't think they should have done the eyes that way, but only because it adds noting essential to the show.

@Psycho 101

The timing shouldn't be a problem. Most likely we are talking about different audiences.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
The panel interview really does sound like they may be doing right by this story. Here's hoping.

Yeah, I feel like it's got a lot of potential.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
As long as it's a better movie than Ghost in the Shell, I'll be satisfied! Looking forward to seeing this in a theater around Christmas ^_^.

Still haven't gotten used to Gally being called Alita and Yugo as Hugo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1