• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu Streams Full Moon o Sagashite Beyond U.S. DVD Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siliva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
(Viz also confirmed that it was discontinuing the DVD releases of Hikari no Go and Prince of Tennis at the same event.)

I believe that would be Hikaru no Go, lol.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
people complain about funimation but at least when they license something they finish releasing the dvd's and not just stop half way through.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Great to hear that they're at least streaming it~

everydaygamer wrote:
people complain about funimation but at least when they license something they finish releasing the dvd's and not just stop half way through.

Yeah Funimation finishes releasing everything... /cough/ Kodocha /cough/
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

Funi's track record with discontinuing titles in the middle of their run isn't as high as Viz's. Besides Kodocha, Detective Conan's the only other notable title I'm aware of that Funi halted distribution of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:

everydaygamer wrote:

you beat me to the punch......

if they were to release a complete collection of the titles, they might sell better,

it's because of this type of thing, I stopped buying shows until they are fully released, even sentai films hasn't released the rest of glass mask, and I really enjoyed that series, but looks like only half of the show will ever be released.

but sentai films releasing clannad on blu-ray, so all is not lost....
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

Funi's track record with discontinuing titles in the middle of their run isn't as high as Viz's. Besides Kodocha, Detective Conan's the only other notable title I'm aware of that Funi halted distribution of.

Yugioh Duel Monsters I believe was also halted halfway though this may have been more of a 4Kids issue than Funimation issue.
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
When they first started posting episodes on Hulu, Viz editor Nancy Thistlethwaite posted on twitter that it would be the entire series and not just the episodes that were on DVD. (exact tweet here.)
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
You guys do realize they discontinue them 'cause they're not selling well enough, right? They're not just trying to annoy you.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Yahoo!! This makes me so happy! I'm definitely going to put aside some time for watching this.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:

everydaygamer wrote:

you beat me to the punch......

if they were to release a complete collection of the titles, they might sell better,

it's because of this type of thing, I stopped buying shows until they are fully released, even sentai films hasn't released the rest of glass mask, and I really enjoyed that series, but looks like only half of the show will ever be released.

but sentai films releasing clannad on blu-ray, so all is not lost....

k well they release what they license whether or not they license the entire series is another thing. though I'm not aware of those show's situations in terms of what was licensed.

the problem with viz is that they dub all the episodes but if the dvd's don't sell well they just won't release the rest of the episodes on dvd which is just stupid.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:13 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

Don't forget Hell Girl, xxxHolic, and Big Windup. The list gets slightly larger if you include the Geneon series they distributed but decided not to license more of, including When they Cry, Kyo Kara Maoh, Familiar Of Zero, etc.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote
Are you kidding me, Cody? You can't compare not picking up a sequel series to not finishing a single show. Nor can you count shows they didn't even own in the first place (the Geneon titles).

I know you hate Funimation, but don't go scraping the bottom of the barrel like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
So then why don't they just stream the rest of Prince of Tennis subbed then I mean if they already haven't?

I say if a company can't stick to finishing a series either

1. Don't license it in the first place not unless you want to disappoint your fans. Although I can understand why they could discontinue long series like Detective Conan and stuff that ranges around that episode range.

or

2. leave it as a stream until you can be sure to put it on DVD.

When I see stuff like this I fear for Reborn if it is ever licensed for DVD release. Even though it is a popular shounen it takes forever to get to the real action in the beginning. So if people drop it after the first DVD release we won't be able to get to the good part of the story before VIZ drops it.

As for Full Moon the only thing good about the anime was the music. Your better off just buying the manga if Viz didn't let that go out of print since its 10 times better.

@Cody: They only dropped WTC and ZnT from Geneon. They still have the other Geneon series as far as I know. I hope so since Shana, Kyo Kara Maoh, and Black Lagoon were very good and they could still make money from them. Besides Funi wouldn't have gotten Shana II if they dropped it like WTC and ZnT. This kinda makes me hopeful that they will simulcast Shana III this fall. I doubt it, but it would be nice.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
Well I'm glad to see that fans can at least follow the whole show on Hulu, I remember having to find fansubs for at least part of the series when I watched it.
Random question, does anyone know if they dubbed the whole series or not?
JDuks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote
I have to agree. There are people out there who subtitle things and put them on the internet for free. So I imagine it can't cost a professional company that much to subtitle and stream a series for a reasonable price or free with ads. It might cost a decent amount to dub the series, but who says you can't stream subbed versions online before the dub is released?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2