Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Publishers Announce License Renewals?




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nobahn
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 4372
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Aniplex, for example, has famously started letting all of their licensing deals lapse so that they can retail all the rights to their own shows.)

Um, wouldn't a more proper term be "infamously"? Just wondering.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 1865
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
so that they can retail all the rights to their own shows.

Should this be "retain", or is it a pun about how Aniplex will then sell the show under their own label?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Morry



Joined: 26 Jun 2016
Posts: 489
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I've definitely been sad about Funi losing the licenses for all their Aniplex shows lately, which is a shame since they still let them license them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CatSword



Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 1138
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I sometimes wish we had more notice for non-license renewals. For example, though this is just streaming, Beast Player Erin suddenly dropped off Crunchyroll in August with no notice.

Shin Chan also completely disappeared from Funimation's site earlier this month, though it's still on Funimation's YouTube and Hulu (until someone at Funi realizes it's supposed to go down, I guess).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 1798
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation's letting a lot of their ex-ADV shows go like Nerima Daikon Brothers, Comic Party Revolution, Xenosaga, etc. I assume if they're still available, they just haven't run out of remaining stock. They all hit the S.A.V.E. line, and I doubt FUNi renews many of the titles banished to that brand.

invalidname wrote:
Quote:
so that they can retail all the rights to their own shows.

Should this be "retain", or is it a pun about how Aniplex will then sell the show under their own label?


I think in a very old ANNCast with someone from Aniplex, their spokesperson said they still have to pay a fee to license the shows. They probably just have a right of first refusal or something for any new or expired shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12016
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I sometimes wish we had more notice for non-license renewals. For example, though this is just streaming, Beast Player Erin suddenly dropped off Crunchyroll in August with no notice.

Shin Chan also completely disappeared from Funimation's site earlier this month, though it's still on Funimation's YouTube and Hulu (until someone at Funi realizes it's supposed to go down, I guess).


CR often does give notice even on their news page. While "Beast Player Erin" wasn't is weird. Though I did see the whole series, I wish it would have gotten an Eng. dub by now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weazul-chan



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 609
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:04 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
CatSword wrote:
I sometimes wish we had more notice for non-license renewals. For example, though this is just streaming, Beast Player Erin suddenly dropped off Crunchyroll in August with no notice.

Shin Chan also completely disappeared from Funimation's site earlier this month, though it's still on Funimation's YouTube and Hulu (until someone at Funi realizes it's supposed to go down, I guess).


CR often does give notice even on their news page. While "Beast Player Erin" wasn't is weird. Though I did see the whole series, I wish it would have gotten an Eng. dub by now.
I'd settle for a sub-only disk release with improved subs. since the novels are getting an English release maybe at least that will happen. especially if more people get the novels and show there's demand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12016
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
British publisher Pushkin published the 1st Erin novel on 3-1-2018. Something tells me that vol. didn't sell well enough because the translation and publishing of the 2nd would have been done by now. Counting the original size of the books, there are 4 novels in the series and 1 vol. of short stories. Kodansha re-published those 4 novels in smaller sizes that are 8 vol. and another re-published version that is also 4 vol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weazul-chan



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 609
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
British publisher Pushkin published the 1st Erin novel on 3-1-2018. Something tells me that vol. didn't sell well enough because the translation and publishing of the 2nd would have been done by now. Counting the original size of the books, there are 4 novels in the series and 1 vol. of short stories. Kodansha re-published those 4 novels in smaller sizes that are 8 vol. and another re-published version that is also 4 vol.
The Pushkin release is actually the first two books in one, which may be why the second release isn't out yet. And to be fair, at least in the US the releases of the first two Moribito novels came about a year apart.

It's also of note an American publisher is planning to release the first Beast Player novel early next year and the same translator is listed for that release as well. They're doing a hardcover and ebook release and the page count listed on Amazon is smaller so they may be planning to release in 4 parts instead of two double volumes. That may be a factor into why more isn't out yet in English as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group