• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Sempai Manga Gets TV Anime in 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
For some reason, I'm getting Dagashi Kashi vibes out of this which could be a good thing or bad thing. But dang it, I'm a huge sucker towards female magicians since they're such a rare breed in the overall entertainment world (and there's the related female escape artists who are even rarer).
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
For some reason, I'm getting Dagashi Kashi vibes out of this which could be a good thing or bad thing. But dang it, I'm a huge sucker towards female magicians since they're such a rare breed in the overall entertainment world (and there's the related female escape artists who are even rarer).

It's similar in the sense that it's episodic chapters of a crazy girl dragging the male MC into her hijinks. The difference is that they all tend to focus on gags with a punchline involving her breasts/panties/etc.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
uproar in japan?
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
Huh... Never wrote senpai with an M before. Is this like the correct transliteration in english or something? I've always used the same as the kana equivalent (phonetical N).
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling it would when I started reading the manga. Looking forward to this.
Mistaken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
she looks just like that pervert girl in that ecchi who was a virgin guard
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Huh... Never wrote senpai with an M before. Is this like the correct transliteration in english or something? I've always used the same as the kana equivalent (phonetical N).

In traditional Hepburn romanisation, if the next character is a m-, b- or p- sound ん is written as m. e.g. you may have seen newspaper written as "shimbun".
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Huh, as a reader of the manga, I honestly didn’t expect this to get an anime, but I said the same thing for Happy Sugar Life, so what do I know? Anyway, it’s still pleasant news to hear and I look forward to seeing who the cast members will be.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

It's a correct romanisation, yes. Used to be more common, but...

The sound of ん as pronounced always sort of merges [same place of articulation] with the sound following: before labials [m/b/p] it's pronounced as an m, before velars [k/g] it's ŋ, ng sound, and before alveolars and dentals [ntdszr] it's n. Otherwise [before wy [and h?] and vowels] it's pretty variable, but "nasalise and lengthen the vowel it follows" is common.

Old-school hepburn romanisation reproduces these distinctions in writing; this is, well, a teeny bit pointless [anybody who can pronounce the words accurately already knows the rule], so more modern romanisation systems cut back the effort.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:

In traditional Hepburn romanisation, if the next character is a m-, b- or p- sound ん is written as m. e.g. you may have seen newspaper written as "shimbun".

nargun wrote:

It's a correct romanisation, yes. Used to be more common, but...

The sound of ん as pronounced always sort of merges [same place of articulation] with the sound following: before labials [m/b/p] it's pronounced as an m, before velars [k/g] it's ŋ, ng sound, and before alveolars and dentals [ntdszr] it's n. Otherwise [before wy [and h?] and vowels] it's pretty variable, but "nasalise and lengthen the vowel it follows" is common.

Old-school hepburn romanisation reproduces these distinctions in writing; this is, well, a teeny bit pointless [anybody who can pronounce the words accurately already knows the rule], so more modern romanisation systems cut back the effort.

Understood. I had Linguistics in my Letters and Philosophy university but never came across that issue, thanks for the information.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I will be watching it for the plot.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
Mistaken wrote:
she looks just like that pervert girl in that ecchi who was a virgin guard

If we're thinking of the same character, it's Shimoneta's Anna Nishikinomiya. That's who I thought of as soon as I saw Magical Sempai.

Man...and looking at Shimoneta info, I can't believe it's already been 3 years since that anime came out. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1