• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Force Manga by Soul Eater's Atsushi Ohkubo Gets TV Anime by David Production

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Awesome ! i was debating with a friend no further than this morning about the possibility of Fire Force getting an adaptation soon, seem like we were right, can't wait !

Last edited by Yune Amagiri on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
The manga has been licensed here. And so far, unfortunately I find the Firefighting brigade is less charming than Soul Eater kids...
Good news, I guess.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm reading the manga, I'll take a glance to see the pacing.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I personally found this series to be a lot less interesting than Soul Eater. Soul Eater wasn't necessarily perfect, but I had some good fun with it back in the day.

Anyhow congrats to the fans of this manga, I hope the anime adaptation is good. David Production as far as I know is a good studio, so I might even give the anime a shot.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Amazing news! One of my favorite currently ongoing series. It's pretty great!
Nodz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad we're finally getting an anime, and by David Production!!!

If one day they ever make a Ranma reboot, I wish it's been made by David Production.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I haven't really seen this manga being mentioned or talked about in any news/forums so I don't know much about it other than its title and the author who made it. That said, I did enjoy Soul Eater back in my early days of watching anime so I think I'll check it out.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
nice I was wondering when this series was ever getting animated since I loved Soul Eater so much.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
I think this got much potential, especially as a shounen title, but the beginning seems to be just alright as I remember reading it without any memorable things (and so I stopped). I wonder if it gets any better or more interesting. Now that it gets animated, I'm expecting for lots of beautiful fiery animation.
CyberLance

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:52 am Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
I haven't really seen this manga being mentioned or talked about in any news/forums so I don't know much about it other than its title and the author who made it. That said, I did enjoy Soul Eater back in my early days of watching anime so I think I'll check it out.

Here in the west Fire Force sadly get no attention at all and you never see anybody ever mention or talk about it so its almost like it does not exist here.
That the series got an anime probably means that the series is way more popular in Japan than it is in the west.

I love Fire Force and its one of my favorite ongoing mangas and i personally like it more than Soul Eater so im extremely happy that its going to get an anime and i hope it will make the series way more popular here in the west.
The series got a great story, very lovable and fun characters, cool fights and an interesting world so i recommend people to either try the manga or watch the anime when it comes out.

I really hope the Fire Force anime will have great art and animation.
The only anime made by David Production i have seen is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and that series feels different from shounens like Fire Force, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and Fairy Tail to me so i hope David Production can animate this kind of Naruto like shounen anime great too.

I think its very impressive how Fire Force can use fire in so many different ways similar to how Toriko could use food in so many different ways for example.
The Japanese are way more creative and open minded to new and different things than people are here in the west nowadays.
They also dont need to worry about political correctness, feminism and social justice warriors most of the time like people must always worry about here these days.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Cool! So far, all I've heard about the manga is "it's okay, not bad, but not as good as Soul Eater" but an anime is definitely a vote of confidence!

How is the art? Soul Eater had such a unique, fun style that even Soul Eater Not! didn't replicate (at least in anime form). Is Fire Force more stylized than most shonen, the way Soul Eater was?

CyberLance wrote:

I think its very impressive how Fire Force can use fire in so many different ways similar to how Toriko could use food in so many different ways for example.
The Japanese are way more creative and open minded to new and different things than people are here in the west nowadays.
They also dont need to worry about political correctness, feminism and social justice warriors most of the time like people must always worry about here these days.
Uh, social issues, politics, and creator's home countries have nothing to do with creative superpowers and ideas. Just look at Marvel Comics (in my mind because of Stan Lee's recent passing): innovative and extremely creative in its time and inspirational to comics/manga/manwha/graphic novel creators world-wide for decades and social justice oriented as all get out (disabled superheroes! X-Men as stand in for marginalized groups! Black Panther!)
And, y'know, American.

But there is great creative speculative fiction from creators all over the world from all political and social points of view or lack thereof, even Japan. For example, Miyazaki and environmental preservation go hand-in-hand, but I dare anyone to claim Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was less creative or entertaining because it had a message/moral or a female protagonist.
CyberLance

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Cool! So far, all I've heard about the manga is "it's okay, not bad, but not as good as Soul Eater" but an anime is definitely a vote of confidence!

How is the art? Soul Eater had such a unique, fun style that even Soul Eater Not! didn't replicate (at least in anime form). Is Fire Force more stylized than most shonen, the way Soul Eater was?

CyberLance wrote:

Uh, social issues, politics, and creator's home countries have nothing to do with creative superpowers and ideas. Just look at Marvel Comics (in my mind because of Stan Lee's recent passing): innovative and extremely creative in its time and inspirational to comics/manga/manwha/graphic novel creators world-wide for decades and social justice oriented as all get out (disabled superheroes! X-Men as stand in for marginalized groups! Black Panther!)
And, y'know, American.

But there is great creative speculative fiction from creators all over the world from all political and social points of view or lack thereof, even Japan. For example, Miyazaki and environmental preservation go hand-in-hand, but I dare anyone to claim Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was less creative or entertaining because it had a message/moral or a female protagonist.

Yes in the past western media used to be very creative and open minded to new things too but nowadays people here in the western part of the world are very close minded and think most new and different stuff is just weird and stupid and should not be taken seriously and its mostly new versions of old stuff that is already popular that get made these days and rarely new things.

Like nobody felt that there was anything wrong with something like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, He-Man or Thundercats in the old days for example but now people think that kind of stuff is weird and stupid.
Movies, TV shows, cartoons, comics and other stuff used to be filled with stuff that people could take seriously in the past that people now think is weird and cant take seriously anymore.
Most things that are not like real-life is considered weird here these days.

Im sure that if Stan Lee would have created Spider-Man and his other superheros in 2018 people would not have been able to take them seriously.
Most stuff that was made and got popular in the old days would probably not be taken seriously and would probably not get popular if it was made today.
The reason why old stuff like that can be popular these days is because of nostalgia and because it has been around for such a long time so people grew up with it and are used to it but its different if its brand new.

In Japan they create new and different things all the time and the Japanese does not think something is weird and stupid only because its different like people usually do here and they are way more creative when it comes to different kinds of characters, fantasy worlds, storys, powers, the way characters look and dress, creatures and other things.
They create stuff in Japan all the time that would probably never be able to get made here or get popular if it was made in the west.
All the things that people could take seriously in the old days here can they still take seriously in Japan.

And political correctness, feminism and social justice culture do affect a countrys media and society because the more people need to be scared and worried that people will be offended and complain about things the less freedom do they have to create whatever kind of fiction they want to create and the more limits to there creativity, imagination and what they can include in there fiction do they get.
It also gives people less freedom in real life too because there are many things that used to be fine in society that is now not ok anymore.

In the 70s, 80s, 90s and the 2000s people here in the west did not need to worry about people complaining even close as much as they do now and there is a huge bunch of stuff that used to be perfectly fine, no big deal and normal to have in the media and in society in those days that they cant do anymore now but in Japan all of those things are still perfectly fine, no big deal and normal.
It was after 2010 that everybody became so sensitive, easily offended and brainwashed by political correctness, feminism and social justice culture here.

Note: this post has been reported twice. I've let it be as Agent355 has provided a thoughtful response below. Errinundra.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Well, the good news is that the art is heavily-stylised, moreso than Soul Eater, and the backgrounds are very detailed and well-done, even better than Soul Eater which didn't have much background art. It also has a more rounded artstyle than Soul Eater's slightly edgy one when it comes to the characters.

The bad news is that somehow the mangaka manages to make the art less dynamic. With Soul Eater, you can almost smell the action while reading. In Fire Force, the action is definitely there, and there are cool scenes, but the dynamacy is gone. Despite the art being more fluid, it's somehow less dynamic. This is hopefully only an issue with the manga and not the upcoming anime.

As for the story, it's definitely isn't going to be winning any awards, but the fight scenes and concept is interesting. It's definitely not as gripping as Soul Eater was, but a series like this adapted into anime would be pretty great, especially if they pay attention to the fight scenes.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
With 15+ vol. out by the time the anime starts, we are likely looking at a 26-39 epi. adaptation easily.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:36 am Reply with quote
I think you have some valid points about Western entertainment, but you are mixing up causes and effects.
CyberLance wrote:

Yes in the past western media used to be very creative and open minded to new things too but nowadays people here in the western part of the world are very close minded and think most new and different stuff is just weird and stupid and should not be taken seriously and its mostly new versions of old stuff that is already popular that get made these days and rarely new things.

I agree that Hollywood is averse to making movies based on new, original concepts and instead recycle old ideas. I disagree that this is because *fans* are close-minded, or that new, original ideas are considered stupid

Hollywood has become risk averse because they're aware that less people see movies in theaters, and their terrified of losing money. This leads them to re-make movie ideas that have done well in the past. This has nothing to do with whether fans are actually open to new ideas or consider them stupid---it's just Hollywood movie studios fear of losing money on an unproven idea.

CyberLance wrote:

Like nobody felt that there was anything wrong with something like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, He-Man or Thundercats in the old days for example but now people think that kind of stuff is weird and stupid.
Movies, TV shows, cartoons, comics and other stuff used to be filled with stuff that people could take seriously in the past that people now think is weird and cant take seriously anymore.
Most things that are not like real-life is considered weird here these days.

Im sure that if Stan Lee would have created Spider-Man and his other superheros in 2018 people would not have been able to take them seriously.
Most stuff that was made and got popular in the old days would probably not be taken seriously and would probably not get popular if it was made today.
The reason why old stuff like that can be popular these days is because of nostalgia and because it has been around for such a long time so people grew up with it and are used to it but its different if its brand new.

Stan Lee worked tirelessly for decades to get Hollywood to take his superheroes seriously! Superman
with Christopher Reeves was the only successful superhero movie for a long time, then in the late '80s, Batman had a few successful movies---but their sequels were flops, and for a very long time, no one could imagine a superhero film doing well at the box office, let alone sparking huge franchises. Sam Raimi's Spider-Man changed all that---but Stan Lee had been trying to get a Spider-Man Hollywood movie produced since the '80s! Basically, Marvel superheroes were considered "stupid" until, with a lot of hard work, Marvel convinced Sony and Fox to give their properties a chance. And their movies took off just as internet usage was cutting into box office profits, so they got a lot of clones.

CyberLance wrote:

In Japan they create new and different things all the time and the Japanese does not think something is weird and stupid only because its different like people usually do here and they are way more creative when it comes to different kinds of characters, fantasy worlds, storys, powers, the way characters look and dress, creatures and other things.
They create stuff in Japan all the time that would probably never be able to get made here or get popular if it was made in the west.
All the things that people could take seriously in the old days here can they still take seriously in Japan.

In Japan, publishers have always supported new and original manga ideas while in the U.S. the comics industry was mostly limited to two major publishers who stuck to what they know, that much is true.

But once you step out of the mainstream bubble of what Marvel, D.C., and Hollywood think is profitable, you'll find that creators are just as innovative in the U.S. (and the rest of the world) as in Japan.

Webcomics, for example, showcase that originality is alive and well everywhere.

Check out: https://www.webtoons.com/en/

CyberLance wrote:

And political correctness, feminism and social justice culture do affect a countrys media and society because the more people need to be scared and worried that people will be offended and complain about things the less freedom do they have to create whatever kind of fiction they want to create and the more limits to there creativity, imagination and what they can include in there fiction do they get.
It also gives people less freedom in real life too because there are many things that used to be fine in society that is now not ok anymore.
It was after 2010 that everybody became so sensitive, easily offended and brainwashed by political correctness, feminism and social justice culture here.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. Personally, I think nothing stifles creativity more than old myths about what sells, and what doesn't.

I recently met Daron Nefcy, the creator of the (now popular and successful) Disney X.D. cartoon Star vs. The Forces of Evil at an event. She said her concept was rejected by Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. They both told her that they didn't want to invest in a cartoon starring a girl. Which is 1. B.S. 2. A *really* old myth, that affects Hollywood as much as TV studios and animation studios (despite the Hunger Games doing incredibly well, studios still consider a female-led action film as "risky") and 3. also kind of the opposite of how you're arguing that "P.C. Culture" is affecting the entertainment industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2