• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Too Much Fanservice Distract From SSSS.Gridman's Story?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
The Fan-service in S4 is really tame, barely anything has actually registered with me. Other than some THICC thighs and the mobile stuffed in Akane's bikini not much else comes to mind. This feels like click-bait.

Whoops I guess I fell for it. Wink
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Does Gridman's fanservice distract from the story? No, not to me, anyway. I've never had much problem appreciating a bit of titillation on screen while simultaneously taking messages seriously.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
While i don't mind some ( to be honest there really aren't that much fanservice ), i can't say the fanservice here it was really needed to begin with, but considering how absurdly populars Akane and Rikka are in Japan, no doubt about it Trigger did the correct choice in showing off their heroines when the opportunity comes, the bd are bond to sell well and i can already see coming a lot of SSSS.Gridman parody doujinshi coming in the next comiket.

They even gave otokonoko fans some love, thumbs up Trigger, show us more !
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Does Too Much Story Distract From SSSS.Gridman's Fanservice?
Well yes, but if you are willing to look past that there is some well drawn fanservice.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
No. To me the fanservice in SSSS.Gridman is not distracting. I am used to anime being pervy and having gratuitous fanservice.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Starting and ending the article with a Freakazoid reference and then discussing the toy merchandising potential of this show with out using the term "Toyetic" makes me very sad.

So does no mention of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
No. But honestly I think the story isn't good. It's a well directed anime, tho.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I can empathize with people who might not particularly care for fanservice. It doesn't mean I will be equally bothered, because that's subjective, but I can understand where the source of the complaint is coming from. On the other hand, there's a long history of even the most serious anime characters being used for fanservice purposes, especially during specific episodes intended for it, so that sort of situation is unlikely to go away.

For me, it has rarely been permanently distracting. At most, I wouldn't take the scene seriously and it might be worth criticizing the multiple sequences in question, but there's little or no reason for me to look down on the affected characters as a whole. If they have enough actual characterization and participation in the story, that shouldn't matter too much.

I'd talk more about SSSS.Gridman in and itself, but I'll go ahead and save my thoughts on the show for another time (I can almost hear someone celebrating in the background).
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Betteridge's law of headlines (I may have mentioned this before): Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
What? Because of the one episode? Hardly.

Akane’s whole thing to me is the juxtaposition. She’s adorable waifu bait, with zero redeeming qualities. She’s filthy, sociopathic, narcissistic, and can’t even fix her glasses because of the Shattered Glass Optimus reference. This is all meant to show her as someone devoid of sympathy IMO, unlike the original’s Takeshi or Malcom from Syber Squad.

Last edited by Beatdigga on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Does Too Much Story Distract From SSSS.Gridman's Fanservice?
Well yes, but if you are willing to look past that there is some well drawn fanservice.

This. This question is clearly worded wrong.

gpanthony wrote:
Starting and ending the article with a Freakazoid reference and then discussing the toy merchandising potential of this show with out using the term "Toyetic" makes me very sad.

So does no mention of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad.

Those are a bit ironic statements given American adaptions of toku just exist to sell toys and generally ignore everything else about the genre.

And personally I'd rather have a world where every discussion of toku doesn't needlessly bring up the bad American adaptions (even though in this case it's probably because they're too young to know about it)
Trendo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
And im here still like the anime and its fanservice
Story and fanservice can work together and SSSS Grindman is the best example for that in my opinion
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen the show in question, but fanservice is usually an attraction for me, not a distraction. It would have to be Eiken level of "not my fetish" for me to pass on it.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Trendo wrote:
Story and fanservice can work together and SSSS Grindman is the best example for that in my opinion

...are we sure the fanservice isn't too distracting? :D
ChiilongCha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with the fanservice as long as the characters in the show don't mention them. I will oogle at the breast and the thighs in my own terms and I don't need the show to tell me if someone has big knockers or is thicc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4