• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe Switch Game's Ad Shows Off Character Movement

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for this game. Super Mario Odyssey was fantastic, and it actually got me back into video games after college got me occupied with so much work, but I miss the old school Mario gameplay. Not to mention I really missed out on the Wii U (no wonder it failed).
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:45 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I can't wait for this game. Super Mario Odyssey was fantastic, and it actually got me back into video games after college got me occupied with so much work, but I miss the old school Mario gameplay. Not to mention I really missed out on the Wii U (no wonder it failed).

The NSMB series will definitely sate your itch for 2D Mario gameplay, although there was a time where it was really over-saturated. DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii-U all had installments in it, so it was a nice breath of fresh air when 3D Land came out. To be honest, at this point the only reason to still have a Wii U is Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Maker, and Xenoblade X. If those ever get ported over, or sequels, then the console will officially be obsolete.

-Stuart Smith
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

The NSMB series will definitely sate your itch for 2D Mario gameplay, although there was a time where it was really over-saturated. DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii-U all had installments in it, so it was a nice breath of fresh air when 3D Land came out. To be honest, at this point the only reason to still have a Wii U is Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Maker, and Xenoblade X. If those ever get ported over, or sequels, then the console will officially be obsolete.

-Stuart Smith

For the sake of the original poster who missed the Wii U, he meant Super Mario 3D World, the sequel to 3D Land for the 3DS.

There was also Pikmin 3, a very strong game which hasn't been ported to the Switch yet, and Star Fox Zero/Star Fox Guard...messy, sure, but rather enjoyable once you get the controls down. The original Splatoon is a solid, fun game in its own right, but Splatoon 2 is basically a deluxe version of that, so I suppose that makes visiting it not strictly necessary.

One other thing Wii U has over Switch is the Virtual Console and (for a time) access to WiiWare games like Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth and Contra Rebirth.

Also, if you've missed several cycles, there were solid HD remakes of Zelda: The Wind Waker and Zelda: Twilight Princess.

And I must say, the unique experience of some of the dual-screen mini-games on Nintendo Land and Wii Fit U will probably never be repeated on Switch.

When you consider Zelda: Breath of the Wild was developed for Wii U and runs just fine on it, Wii U, in spite of its flaws, was a better machine than most give it credit for. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so many games from Wii U finding their way to Switch. Mario Kart 8 is one of Switch's best-sellers, and it's a Wii U game. Heck, Breath of the Wild sold the Switch to most people, and again, it was a Wii U game!!! (It's strange to wonder what people would have said about that game and Wii U if it launched only for Wii U as originally intended.)
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

-Stuart Smith

That'll be interesting. Although it had some good games from what I've read about it, you can't deny that the Wii U was a miserable failure for Nintendo (although it did better than the Sega Saturn or the Dreamcast combined). They really wanted to get back into the race, and with the Nintendo Switch, they did just that.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:

When you consider Zelda: Breath of the Wild was developed for Wii U and runs just fine on it, Wii U, in spite of its flaws, was a better machine than most give it credit for. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so many games from Wii U finding their way to Switch.

Actually that perfectly sums up how disappointing the WiiU was in spite of successful titles like Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Smash 4. While also displaying some obvious desperation on Nintendo's part to build up the Switch's library.

LightningCount wrote:
Mario Kart 8 is one of Switch's best-sellers, and it's a Wii U game. Heck, Breath of the Wild sold the Switch to most people, and again, it was a Wii U game!!! (It's strange to wonder what people would have said about that game and Wii U if it launched only for Wii U as originally intended.)

Not really had it only launched for the WiiU it would still have both the critical acclaim and divisness that it (almost every Zelda before it) presently has.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1