• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FunimationNow Streams 1st 13 Episodes of Star Blazers 2199 Anime With Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheupe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
They didn’t add it in Japanese. It’s only on English. I just checked
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Contrary to the article, Voyager didn't finish releasing the series. Then after their license expired, Funimation released it this year in Blu-Ray/DVD boxsets with both dub and sub.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
Sheupe wrote:

Likewise. I checked both the website and Windows 10 app, and also only found the English dub available (and I am a Premium member, and was signed in).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Sheupe wrote:

Likewise. I checked both the website and Windows 10 app, and also only found the English dub available (and I am a Premium member, and was signed in).

Then how come I am watching it in Japanese right now?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Funimation adding the subs for Yamato but I'm not sure why they're waiting to put the rest of the show up when they had all 26 episodes on Crunchyroll before.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I guess they're just busy. For most of their sub catalog that went to CR, I assume they temporarily hid the Japanese audio but left it on the servers / in the system, so it could be reactivated fairly easily, whereas this has never been on their site/service in Japanese before.

I don't know exactly how that works, but when I reported a single missing subtitle line in a video on CR, their representative said he would push encodes for that episode, meaning it had to be entirely re-encoded, which should take a lot of render time for a whole nine hour series.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:02 am Reply with quote
#890816 wrote:

Then how come I am watching it in Japanese right now?

Good question, since I still couldn't if I wanted to.

When I check the episodes page on the site, it still shows English as the only language. In a change from my previous post, when I click through to an episode now, Japanese can be selected from the menu (gear icon), but it gives me a "Sorry, this video is for premium subscribers only" (despite my account page confirming that yes, I am still premium).

Likewise, I checked once again, and the Windows 10 app still shows only English as a possible selection for the first 4 episodes I checked.

It isn't much of a concern to me, since I already viewed the series (and in dub format). I'm simply reporting what I see.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:01 am Reply with quote
I've also been experiencing the same problem and I had just recently signed up to be a Funimation subscriber. All the 2202 videos work fine but I still keep getting a premium only message for all of the 2199 episodes when I have a yearly subscription.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1