• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Posts 'Baton Passing' Video Ahead of Star ☆ Twinkle Precure Premiere (Updated)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:14 am Reply with quote
Farewell, best Precure entry and honestly best magical girl series since Madoka. Even if you didn't get the full attention you deserved, you will be missed.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:09 am Reply with quote
Two polar opposites huh? Guess I'll balance it out...

Hugtto was very competent for about 60% of it. After that the pacing and everything else took a hard heavy nosedive in quality.

The Hana episodes were amazing, but they were spaced badly.
Saaya is a complete non-character whose arc starts and ends abruptly less than 10 episodes before the show is over.
Emiru/Lulu got reduced to finishing moves and guitar gags which was a super letdown.
Henry was a big deal and then he stays crippled even during the big scene.

The second half's pacing was all around awful and even though George was a decent villain they treated him like shit, and for 80% of it, it honesty looked like he had just given up on his plan given how little he gave a shit about everything else.

And the fights were almost completely absent during that second half.
Talk -> Transform -> Instant finish move.

So for every power level discussion where people ask WHY DIDN'T GOKU START WITH HIS ULTIMATE FORM???, remember this is why. Because it works, but it f-ing sucks.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
All the valid criticisms mentioned here so far feels like that Hugtto Precure fell into the "3rd cour slump" just like most other Precure shows. I get that each Precure series is an all-year, nonstop (except for certain holidays) show that doesn't have a manga to fall back on, but it always feels like the writers plan out how the story would go out for the 1st 2 cours but then drag its feet in the 3rd cour, and try to play catch up in the 4th cour with varying degrees of success.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
I have high hopes for the new series.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
I'm siding with the 3rd cour slope group , i think only 2-3 entry at best didn't make me said at the end "Too bad the first 2 cour were really good though..." Hugtto was no exception, it started with an awesome potential, far better than expected, after all with such a vague theme how could you get a concrete picture of what might happen but it still managed to hold on it for 20 or so episodes, then the infamous stereotype came by :

-First at all the main theme "You can do & become anything " was slowly dying starting the 3rd cour, the second Henri's episode was most likely the last time i really felt it, then it became another Precure vs Bad guy until the end.

-Homare was pretty much reduced to a "Juliet like" tragic character harboring a forbidden love that can't possibly lead to a happy end ( I'm usually a sucker for love story even more with a shojo like atmosphere but i've never considere them good in the Precure franchise, they are usually unnecessary and akward, in fact Yes Five and Happiness Charge that used to be my favorite ones at first were for me wasted by an akward romance, am i the only one ? )

-Saya ? Did they forgot about her existence half way or it was intended to use her only as a filling in order to reach quotas ?

-Lulu\Emiru : They really did a good job in making sense to their coexistence and i really would have liked another "Futari Wa" like with them as sole characters but not as a team like Hugtto did, this heterogeneity wasn't harmonious.

-Hana was the only reason why i've never forgotten about the theme, there wasn't a single episode where she didn't remind us about it after all, i still can't decide how i felt about her but right now she is most likely the only one that would get a passing mark from me, she was just a downgrade Miyuki though.

While i can get why recents Precures entries ( since Go princess ) have bring more peoples into the community due to being more mature and ambitious, i'm hoping for the next one to be more childish and humorous, seeing how i never failed to boast this entry to my friends, Hugtto anticlimatic last arc was a huge let down for me, too bad .
Dalek-baka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Farewell, best Precure entry and honestly best magical girl series since Madoka. Even if you didn't get the full attention you deserved, you will be missed.
I'd agree with it but to be fair entries since Suite weren't that spectacular (Kirakira was ok and even that one had some problems).
And other magical girls series decided to go grimdark, so not good in my opinion.

That being said, there were few weaker episodes after halfway point, someone might say that crossover episodes did steal screen-time they could use for something else (valid criticism but I still think they were awesome) and some of characters were sidetracked. As per Precure tradition, sadly.

I'm not fan of this ending, mini-Lulu was fun but also rather weird and fact that maxi-Lulu is stuck in the future without Emiru bums me out.

So I have high hopes for next season, would like for it to touch upon real world issues like Hugtto did but we'll see.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Takahashi return to do the character designs. He's a very talented artist and I enjoyed his character designs in Suite PreCure.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Absolutely not. I did not like the ending at all
zenbud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
#892037 wrote:
Zeino wrote:

Absolutely not. I did not like the ending at all

The ending was amazing. You just don't know what is good.
Luigithemetal64

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Hugtto is the worst season since Doki Doki. It had potential like Hana being a great character, Hugtan being an improvement over Ai from Doki Doki since she grows, Emiru and Ruru are OK, brought back physical fights, had cute moments, but those are not enough to save the season. There are not enough episodes for each of the main characters to establish themselves, it relies on crossover episodes, and the "be whoever you want to be" message was used horribly that it would've attracted tsundere and abusive characters, and nobody and not even boys wanted a boy like Henri to be a Pretty Cure as we already accepted that only girls can be a Pretty Cure. It feels like a ratings trap that will eventually die out, making Henri the dress-wearing character a product of the time, and a bruise that can go away. I can assure you that Star Twinkle will do a lot better, at least Go! Princess and Splash Star better.
Airiiin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Hugtto will be deeply missed, this one and Heartcatch were the only Precure seasons I've truly enjoyed so far, all the others were lackluster or just bad. And knowing that the next series will be written by the same person who wrote Mahou Girls, one of the worst seasons, I suspect Space Precure won't be good at all. I'll probably pass on that one. Hugtto was so charming, fun, entertaing and loveable. The least thing I want to watch next is Mahou Girls 2.0.
elior1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:33 am Reply with quote
Airiiin wrote:
Hugtto will be deeply missed, this one and Heartcatch were the only Precure seasons I've truly enjoyed so far, all the others were lackluster or just bad. And knowing that the next series will be written by the same person who wrote Mahou Girls, one of the worst seasons, I suspect Space Precure won't be good at all. I'll probably pass on that one. Hugtto was so charming, fun, entertaing and loveable. The least thing I want to watch next is Mahou Girls 2.0.
the space idea is actully feels something good. i mean space travelling and visiting outher planets in outer space it not feels mahou at all. just becouse it the same writer it does not mean it will be the same way
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:27 am Reply with quote
I still love that they do these baton passes.

As for Hugtto, I'm in agreement with Zeino. It wasn't perfect but honestly I was more bothered by the final episode than I was the last couple of cours. (though I could have done without the crossover episodes)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1