• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor of First Male Precure Reflects on What the Role Means to Him

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"It was the biggest shock in my life to become a Precure," Someya wrote. "Even when I've grown old, I don't think I'll ever forget about this.
So this should put an end to the arguments from fans who tried to claimed Henri didn't count as a real Precure.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
He looks so pretty, I love the design. Looks like I have a new dream cosplay for myself.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
They have a right to be proud, they just reset the gold standard for Pretty Cure after all.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
They did nothing with him either, Toei, please don't do such a thing again unless you're going to do something with the character.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
"It was the biggest shock in my life to become a Precure," Someya wrote. "Even when I've grown old, I don't think I'll ever forget about this.
So this should put an end to the arguments from fans who tried to claimed Henri didn't count as a real Precure.

He really was a real PreCure, people complained more that it was too short and that Henry's very strong femininity made the general message a bit controversial. However, it does not matter, the fact that we read an interview with a man who voiced PreCure, is quite revolutionary itself. And this is not the only thing that made this season unique, not to mention the ending.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
They did nothing with him either, Toei, please don't do such a thing again unless you're going to do something with the character.

Wholeheartedly agreed.
Because of the circumstances that made him a precure, I wasn't expecting him to be THAT active, but the fact that everyone did something in the last fight except for him was a huge letdown.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
There have been many series to pull the convention off of "That supporting character that gets an honorary costume in the last arc of the show." Heck, mascots have gotten the treatment.

I'm more upset that every season has to Add Cures. When you get too many you can't focus on them. And when focus is done they all get 1-2 focus episodes per cour. Remember when we used to have debates if Shiny Luminous was a Cure? The shocker of have 3 Cures in a Franchise purely meant to have a duo!

How about in Splash Star, the unacknowledged final two Cures that once or twice got to be in the background? Michiru and Kaoru? But they hardly get counted nowadays. A bit of a sidetrack. I am just not a giant fan of always introducing a "surprise" Cure in the lead up to the finale.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Huh? Does Cure Waffle not count? I liked him better. However, Someya san did not call his role the first boy Precure.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, the Kiryuu sisters cry in the corner.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:

But he wasn't. At least, within the context of protagonist Cures. I'm pretty sure everyone knew that it was either just going to be a one-off thing or a plot device that foreshadows the ending. It was actually both, which was pretty great, so anyone actually argues that he wasn't a real Precure essentially denounced the central theme and ending of the series.
spoiler[I can see why people are a little upset how quickly the ending came and everything was "resolved" just as fast.]

*edit*
H. Guderian wrote:
There have been many series to pull the convention off of "That supporting character that gets an honorary costume in the last arc of the show." Heck, mascots have gotten the treatment.

I'm more upset that every season has to Add Cures. When you get too many you can't focus on them. And when focus is done they all get 1-2 focus episodes per cour. Remember when we used to have debates if Shiny Luminous was a Cure? The shocker of have 3 Cures in a Franchise purely meant to have a duo!

How about in Splash Star, the unacknowledged final two Cures that once or twice got to be in the background? Michiru and Kaoru? But they hardly get counted nowadays. A bit of a sidetrack. I am just not a giant fan of always introducing a "surprise" Cure in the lead up to the finale.

That's my, and I think the general consensus regarding any Cure series that starts off with an early five+ team. Too many characters and resources are too spread thin. However, it's not a iron-clad rule, as Kyuranger actually apparently did it pretty well. There were 12 Kyurangers. Compare that to the end total count of Yes! 5 that had a total of a whopping 11 and that's a damn lot, even though 5 were the Dark Precure 5.

But yeah, I'm also not a huge fan of surprise Cures either, but I understand why they do it since the eponymous 6th Ranger is a sentai staple.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:57 am Reply with quote
/// enters as Someya fan who doesn't even watch Precure but loves genderless/feminine boys.

aaaaaa my unicorn <3

Yes, he does count. He counts because he's a unicorn.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
All I can think is "get ready to see the character in tons of Corruption-fetish hentai drawings!" - thanks internet! Twisted Evil
Luigithemetal64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
This is the biggest shark jumping moment in Pretty Cure history. And yes, Henri does look stupid in a dress. Not even boys wanted boys to be Cures.
King Kuuga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
#871008 wrote:

H. Guderian wrote:

That's my, and I think the general consensus regarding any Cure series that starts off with an early five+ team. Too many characters and resources are too spread thin. However, it's not a iron-clad rule, as Kyuranger actually apparently did it pretty well. There were 12 Kyurangers. Compare that to the end total count of Yes! 5 that had a total of a whopping 11 and that's a damn lot, even though 5 were the Dark Precure 5.

Yes 5 GoGo ended with 6 girls on the roster. The Dark 5 were movie exclusive, and moreover, only the Yes 5 movie, not even mentioned in GoGo, where we got Milky Rose. These one-off guest characters don't really hurt the team's development, and movie characters are of course only noteworthy within their movie.

Also Kyuranger is a bad example of a large team. The character development was horribly lopsided, with some characters getting much more focus than others, to the point where some of the lesser characters were pretty much the same at the start and end of the show.

H. Guderian wrote:
I'm more upset that every season has to Add Cures. When you get too many you can't focus on them. And when focus is done they all get 1-2 focus episodes per cour.

Is your issue that each season is a reboot? We've never had more than 6 new (main) cures in a season. Or to put another way, no more than 6 All Stars. There have sometimes been issues with focus but that's due to poor writing, not an inherent limitation of the team structure.

Now, my own thoughts:

As far as Henri goes, I liked how he progressed through the show. I think it's a little disingenuous how this article implies he was a recurring Cure when he only transformed twice, and the second time was when literally everybody in Japan became a cure, but I've always gotten the impression that ANN's Precure articles are written by people following the buzz rather than people that really watch the show, if that makes sense.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Luigithemetal64 wrote:
This is the biggest shark jumping moment in Pretty Cure history. And yes, Henri does look stupid in a dress. Not even boys wanted boys to be Cures.
Can we lay off the thinly vieled queerphobia?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2