• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Boruto Manga Artist Mikio Ikemoto

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
It’s so interesting how the relationship dynamics are within the Jump industry (and Japan in general). It seems like everyone is hyper committed to their roles, and nothing else. Which is incredibly different from work relations in America, where everyone has to be facilitate orders and be incredibly cooperative with their staff.

Ikemoto has been doing a great job with the manga and he’s grown leagues from where he began when it first began serialization. The action scenes have a great tempo and the character designs are becoming more consistently high quality and a nice blend between the anime adaption and Kishimoto’s original work. The direction of the story is what I’ve been most engrossed in though. Another recent interview stated that Boruto could go two twenty volumes or so, so it seems like the fun will continue for awhile.

Ready for more Kawaki hype.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Naruto and Sasuke were on the same team at the beginning, but Boruto and Kawaki never hHow do you decide on the character designs of Boruto and Kawaki?
Quite a few words got lost when this interview was posted.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
Naruto and Sasuke were on the same team at the beginning, but Boruto and Kawaki never hHow do you decide on the character designs of Boruto and Kawaki?
Quite a few words got lost when this interview was posted.

Uh, oops. Something messed up with the html. I fixed it now. The full paragraph was meant to read like this:

"Naruto and Sasuke were on the same team at the beginning, but Boruto and Kawaki never had that kind of camaraderie. Naruto and Sasuke were also rivals; they might not have gotten along but “hate” is too strong a word for their relationship. In Boruto and Kawaki's case, they wonder why they even have to be around each other. But in the opening scene you see that they were allies at one point. So the order in which their relationship unfolds is different from Naruto and Sasuke."
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:36 am Reply with quote
Interesting that Ikemoto and Kodachi hardly talk to each other, and most of their communication is through their editor. I would've thought they would work quite closely together with strong communication, but I guess this is a spin-off organized by Shueisha, as opposed to two friends deciding to make a manga together. I wonder how much communication Kishimoto has with either of them, or if everything is relayed through his editor too...
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
It’s so interesting how the relationship dynamics are within the Jump industry (and Japan in general). It seems like everyone is hyper committed to their roles, and nothing else.

AutoOps007 wrote:
Interesting that Ikemoto and Kodachi hardly talk to each other, and most of their communication is through their editor.

It is interesting indeed. Typically I would think a writer and illustrator would meet each other to go over the story. Plus with information being relay to each other by someone there is a risk of miscommunication (unless the message it written in a note), but that is not the case in this situation so far. In fact it would appear this way is working out for them so far.

Quote:
Akira Toriyama has a tendency not to use tones in his art. That makes it easier to draw.

I notice this with a lot of manga publish under Shounen Jump (at least from the ones I have seen). Personally I like this approach as going about it this way makes the pictures look more simple and clean compared to adding screen tone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:58 am Reply with quote
Drat, you guys forgot to ask why they gave Sarada the most horrible outfit ever. Why did he go pirate ninja?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1