• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kameha Con Responds to Recent Guest Cancellations

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
*Plays the worlds smallest violin*
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but what's their liability for violating the contract? Unless they'd owe Mignogna significantly more than his appearance fee, they'd be stupid to ruin their reputation over it.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
So the con put Mignogna back on the guest list, because he could sue the con under its own contract if it didn't. Okay.

Now the other guests have canceled, leaving them open to lawsuits if the con wants to sue.

I predict marketing death for the con if it sues the guests who withdrew.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
he would be kind of dumb if he did any sort of illicit activity at the con. Hope he enacts a 6-Foot Do Not Enter zone around him, and hands out presigned merch and memorbilia via volunteers who will hand them to the guests.

Or better yet sit in a separate room and talk via camera to the group in another room.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Yes, but what's their liability for violating the contract? Unless they'd owe Mignogna significantly more than his appearance fee, they'd be stupid to ruin their reputation over it.

If Mignogna can prove damages (e.g., career and/or reputation) in excess of his appearance fee, he can sue for that amount. At this point, I think he'd have a tough time arguing his career and reputation are worth anything, but he's allowed to try.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
If Mignogna can prove damages (e.g., career and/or reputation) in excess of his appearance fee, he can sue for that amount. At this point, I think he'd have a tough time arguing his career and reputation are worth anything, but he's allowed to try.

"We became aware of multiple reports of sexual harassment by Mr. Mignogna, including against minors, and decided we had to place the safety of our guests first and foremost" is a mighty strong argument.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
"We became aware of multiple reports of sexual harassment by Mr. Mignogna, including against minors, and decided we had to place the safety of our guests first and foremost" is a mighty strong argument.

It would also be a strong argument in favor of Mignogna, since he hasn't even been arrested, much less convicted, of any criminal charge.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
he would be kind of dumb if he did any sort of illicit activity at the con. Hope he enacts a 6-Foot Do Not Enter zone around him, and hands out presigned merch and memorbilia via volunteers who will hand them to the guests.

Or better yet sit in a separate room and talk via camera to the group in another room.

If only that was, you know, plausible and affordable.

More likely, they won’t allow him to leave his desk to take pictures (and by extension, grope people) with anyone, and they’ll place security against both the fans AND him.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
So the con put Mignogna back on the guest list, because he could sue the con under its own contract if it didn't. Okay.

Now the other guests have canceled, leaving them open to lawsuits if the con wants to sue.

I predict marketing death for the con if it sues the guests who withdrew.

Yeah, I don't think they want to be known as the con that sued multiple guests. Throw in that Irving is in the Dallas area and they would essentially lose out virtually all their guests going forward. Not a great idea for a con centered on Dragonball.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:

It would also be a strong argument in favor of Mignogna, since he hasn't even been arrested, much less convicted, of any criminal charge.

The con is liable if it fails to protect guests. That includes allowing someone into the con who has credible accusations against him -- especially now that the person's been fired from the job that's his whole reason for attending the con.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
kameha con: "We have a ZERO tolerance policy for harassment and we take all threats seriously."
also kameha con: invites the man with over a decade's worth of sexual harassment and predatory behaviour to his name

RAPIDLY SPINNING THINKING EMOJI
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
kameha con: "We have a ZERO tolerance policy for harassment and we take all threats seriously."
also kameha con: invites the man with over a decade's worth of sexual harassment and predatory behaviour to his name

RAPIDLY SPINNING THINKING EMOJI

Irony at it finest
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again. Everyone is going to get heated up in the comments. I am just going stay neutral of the whole situation until this is taken to court and get the truth from the judge verdict.
Omegaplib

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
They're sacrificing the main cast of the series just for the guy who voiced Broly? As far as I know it was supposed to be a convention to celebrate Dragon Ball and not meet up for fans who love Vic just because he played Edward Elric.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

But it can be argued that he has internal investigations from 2 major corporations against him (Sony owns Funimation, AT&T owns Rooster Teeth), Which, as been pointed out through other threads ad bloody nausium, due to statutes of limitations is probably the closest we are going to get. That being said, that kind of thing does hold weight if they want to use it as a reason for not having him. 2 internal investigations plus now multiple guest cancellations would be justification for shelving him again, though at this point it feels Kameha Con is doing it for the publicity
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8