• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note Movie Double Feature BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I saw this before I even new about the Manga or Anime, and I actually liked the ending to this a bit more.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Surprised it doesnt come with Save the WorLd and Light Up the New World
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Surprised it doesnt come with Save the WorLd and Light Up the New World

FUNi never picked up L Change The WorLd for some reason (which sucks because despite not being a great film, it's in need of a Blu-ray release here since Japan got it back in 2016) and Light Up The NEW World has it's own separate release.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
A fair-enough review, although I still have a much higher opinion of the movies.

I thought they did a good job showing Light as a sympathetic villain--still a villain, but the beginning better shows where he's coming from before he descends himself on his psychotic path. The CGI isn't great compared to Hollywood standards but it's not that bad either--although admittedly Ryuk's animation in Light Up the New World really shows it has come a long way after 10 years. As for the Red Hot Chili Peppers songs--maybe I misunderstood what it was about, but wasn't 'Dani California' about a female serial killer or something? It would've very roughly paralleled Light's story. Either way, I think it's really just the feeling the songs give that reflect the feeling of where both movies cap off--Last Name ends on a kind of somber/mellow note, so 'Snow' does rather reflect that feeling (not to mention that the movie ends with literal snowing).

There are plenty of other positives to list, but suffice to say I think the movie version covers all the story's important points in a narratively cohesive way and I'd say I actually prefer the movies over the anime. The worst one can say is that the movies aren't particularly fast-paced (something that was also improved in Light Up the New World), but for me that's not really enough against them.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I only saw the first live action movie way back when I was in high school when Viz first released it. Compared to the live action anime remakes that existed at the time, I thought Death Note was a step forward and it was a decent recap of the first arc of the anime. Watching live action Japanese movies dubbed in English is still always a weird experience but I thought the Ocean cast did a good job and it's a shame Funimation didn't include them for whatever reason as I think it's important to preserve Ocean dubs. I'm surprised the review didn't mention the infamous potato chip scene which was always cheesy in every version of Death Note even back then.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I read the manga and watched these movies, and I slightly preferred the movies. It's been a long time since I've read or watched Death Note, but I still think I might favour the movies, just for having a tighter plot.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Okay, but how do they compare to Netflix's version?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I can't say anything about the later Japanese movies as I only ever saw the first film, but the first film was pretty close to the first arc of the anime, other than introducing a new character with Light's girlfriend and reorganizing some of the plot to streamline it a bit. The special effects are the one area I would say the American version was better, especially the CGI for Ryuk, though the special effects for the American film isn't that great as a whole. But the acting was better to me in the Japanese live action films and the characters' personalities were closer to the source material. The later movies are where they go off in their own original direction but I haven't seen any of those to say how they are.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:41 am Reply with quote
So I am guessing this is considered a sucesfull enough property to have a new version instead of just have it available bare bones. But I guess Death note managed to make the cut in term of franchises in terms of stability so far.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
Naomi's expansion in the movie was more drawn from her appearance in the novel "Death Note Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases", which came out before these movies but after the original manga/anime if I'm remembering correctly. The book covers a series of events a few years before Light ever comes into possession of the Death Note, with Naomi and L solving a case together. I haven't read it or watched the movies since they were originally released, so my memory is extremely foggy, but I believe Naomi's additional parts in the movie were heavily based on her actions in the novel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1