• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CinemaCon Attendees' Reactions Are Mixed on Sonic the Hedgehog

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Excited about what people are saying in regards to what was shown of Jim Carrey's performance in this, but I suppose we'll all have to wait until these trailers get put out to the general public.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I am very interested to hear Jim Carey voice Eggman. If they're gonna do Sonic movie, they have to get actors who are dedicated to giving Sonic and Eggman interesting personality.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
The stuff with Jim Carrey sounded fun.The other stuff makes it seem like a hilarious dumpster fire.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I mean no expected it to be good anyway. the way I see it, it's Sonic teaming up with Cyclops from the X-men to defeat Jim Carrey
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
This should've just been a cartoon with the original game's designs already in place.

Just call up Sony Pictures Animation. I'm sure they are looking for something to do.

Or look outside the box for that Asterix studio in France.

Dangit SEGA...
ballinamon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
Jim Carrey was a good idea.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:41 am Reply with quote
Jim Carrey as Eggman is the only good idea.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:52 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I am very interested to hear Jim Carey voice Eggman. If they're gonna do Sonic movie, they have to get actors who are dedicated to giving Sonic and Eggman interesting personality.

Who said it's just the voice he's doing?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:01 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
I mean no expected it to be good anyway. the way I see it, it's Sonic teaming up with Cyclops from the X-men to defeat The Riddler.

Fixed it for you. Laughing
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:08 am Reply with quote
I do not have high hopes for this movie compared to Detective Pikachu. With the exception of Sonic Mania and the Sonic Boom cartoon, Sonic has been a walking joke since 2006 (well maybe I'm being to harsh). But I can't see this movie doing well, at least it seems that Carrey as Eggman will be the highlight of the movie, but that's kind of ironic when Sonic should be the main focus
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
It’s easy to see why the trailer wasn’t released this weekend. They would have been compared to Joker which is getting friggin Oscar buzz. And given what was shown, people seem more confused than anything with Sonic’s latest stab at the mainstream.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I do not have high hopes for this movie compared to Detective Pikachu. With the exception of Sonic Mania and the Sonic Boom cartoon, Sonic has been a walking joke since 2006 (well maybe I'm being to harsh). But I can't see this movie doing well, at least it seems that Carrey as Eggman will be the highlight of the movie, but that's kind of ironic when Sonic should be the main focus

I wouldn't go that far. The Sonic Boom cartoon was just recycled jokes of self-referential humor pointing out how bad all modern Sonic games are, how bad and creepy the Sonic fanbase is, and basically doing nothing but mocking the franchise like everyone else does, but doing it themselves in order to capitalize on it. Being self-aware of how terrible your franchise is doesn't make it good, it just means you're too lazy to actively try to fix it and just coast along for the meme.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
theNightster wrote:
I mean no expected it to be good anyway. the way I see it, it's Sonic teaming up with Cyclops from the X-men to defeat The Riddler.

Fixed it for you. Laughing

theNightster wrote:
I mean no expected it to be good anyway. the way I see it, it's Sonic teaming up with Cyclops from the X-men to defeat The Grinch.

I'll raise, sir/madam. Very Happy
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
This should've just been a cartoon with the original game's designs already in place.

Which we have already have 4 of?

jdnation wrote:

Just call up Sony Pictures Animation. I'm sure they are looking for something to do.

Looking for something to do is how we got The Emoji Movie. And yes this is same company who in spite of that misfire made Into The Spider-Verse.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like The Grinch specifically because of Jim Carrey's performance, it was obnoxious and irritating. If he does the same shtick I would have avoided the movie just on that alone, but the design of Sonic in these preview images really ticks me off that I'm not seeing it just because of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2