• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses New Cutey Honey, Yowamushi Pedal Compilation Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Wish they would do more license rescues. Would like to see Hikaru no GO complete on bluray. Would also like to see complete releases of Kodocha, Kekkaishi, and Shaman King.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
My brain keeps getting ahead of me on Discotek licenses, I could've sworn New Cutey Honey was already out.

Doing great work as usual - always feels unfair that comments on their announcements here are full of people asking for even more.

please get cutey honey flash too okay thanks bye
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see New Cutey Honey rescued! It honestly was the show's zenith to me! Smile

I wonder if the episode 9 Christmas special will be released as an extra on the Blu-Ray?
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Alright, New Cutey Honey was my introduction to the Warrior of Love! Very Happy
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:11 am Reply with quote
Aside from them trying to cash in on the Cutie Honey A Go Go manga with that logo & background choice (not blaming them too much but this is definitely not Anno's Honey), I'm glad to see this get rescued after all of this time. It had a Blu-ray release in Japan 6 years ago and from reports I've read, it turned out good so I'll be glad to retire my ADV DVDs that I bought 10 years ago at Rareflix (RIP) and also looking forward to the new audio drama extra that's included.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah,

The ADV New Cutie Honey DVDs have NOT aged well.
The audio's okay but the video transfer was not the best... It doesn't upscale that well and it appears overly light, like it was made for SD TV sets! Laughing
It has that lightness to it that you associate with VHS and laserdisc release from that time. And I don't think Toei gave great master tapes to ADV Films, either. Surprise, surprise! (Not really... The Sailor Moon and Dragonball releases in the West have always had mixed releases for reasons that go back to the quality of the tapes Toei sent to the licensees...)

Good to hear the Blu ray's came out well.
I did notice them on Japanese sites but had no intention of buying them without at least subs. The New Cutie Honey Japanese BD collection was at least $170 last time I checked. I don't think it's had a budget re-release unlike Re: Cutie Honey.
Hopefully, if the new release on BD does well enough it might encourage Discotek or another company to go after Re: Cutie Honey.
I don't think anyone's going to go after Cutie Honey Flash unless they're looking to release the logical runner-up to the original Sailor Moon anime series!
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:11 am Reply with quote
...if I buy new cutie honey, will that convince them to license cutie honey flash?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:39 am Reply with quote
Just need Flash and RE now, it would be nice if they could get dubbed, however I understand why they most likely won't.
Bamble

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
Another good license rescue, and another DVD I can upgrade to Blu-ray. Not too concerned with Flash myself, but echoing what many others are saying here and elsewhere, I really hope this will also eventually lead to Re: finally being licensed for the first time.

I'm still kind of amazed that a yuri-heavy take on the character from the director of Evangelion produced to tie-in with a live-action movie (that was actually licensed back in the day) never made it out of Japan.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:
...if I buy new cutie honey, will that convince them to license cutie honey flash?

Probably not but it's always worth a shot.

I'd just get New Cutie Honey if you've seen it before and like it.
I've watched it multiple times and I think it's one of the better revivals they did in the 1990s. The first six episodes of New Cutie Honey, at least, are better-animated than most of the animated series released since the late 1990s. Of the Cutie Honey anime series, it has the highest production values until about the last 2 episodes which is about when they ran out of money!

The more Cutie Honey shows sell well, the more likely other shows in the series will get licensed.
I wouldn't hold my breath. Go Nagai shows are a crapshoot in the West and have never sold that well. They get licensed (usually) but the audience for them is not huge. The giant robot series he was involved with/created (Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, UFO Grendizer, Getter Robo) are probably better known than Devilman or Cutie Honey.
Mazinger Z and Cutie Honey are my favorites of his creations.

Unfortunately, one of the shows that IS getting released soon is Cutie Honey Universe and it's not a very good series. The other anime adaptations of Cutie Honey are all MUCH BETTER than the latest CH series.

Ironically, Jessica Calvello IS the English dub voice of Cutie Honey in both New Cutie Honey AND Cutie Honey Universe. The dub of CHU may be decent -- *hopefully* -- with what there is to work with in CHU. Again, not a very good series, and this is coming from someone who's seen most of the Cutie Honey shows out there. I think only the live-action tokatsu Cutie Honey TV series and the Cutie Honey: Tears film are worse than CHU. I'd honestly prefer they license Re: Cutie Honey or Cutie Honey Flash over the last two live-action adaptations of Cutie Honey and CHU. It would be nice if they licensed the 2004 live-action Cutie Honey movie but last I saw there were still plenty of unsold copies of the Bandai release of that movie (on DVD) floating around in the US market. They did release Cutie Honey (2004, live-action) in a Blu ray box set dedicated to Hideaki Anno films in Japan so at some point it was mastered for high definition or upscaled....
The radio drama being bundled with New Cutie Honey in the West for the first time is Japanese-only. They recorded the dialogue for the ninth animated episode of New Cutie Honey. They planned 12 episodes of New Cutie Honey but sales fell on the second half of what was released and they cancelled production on the last 4 episode! Money was so tight on Episode 8 that it's barely animated in places! New Cutie Honey, Episode 9 was released as a drama CD in Japan. They do this once in a while with anime series and manga...
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
I already thought they licensed the '90s Cutey Honey show, but my brain must be playing tricks on me. Still waiting for them to license Re:Cutey Honey, especially since they released that live-action film with Eriko Sato that ties into it.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
the sexiest Honey incarnation.Just like Honey should be.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I already thought they licensed the '90s Cutey Honey show, but my brain must be playing tricks on me.

You're confusing it with the 70s show that they released on DVD in 2013.

Quote:
Still waiting for them to license Re:Cutey Honey, especially since they released that live-action film with Eriko Sato that ties into it.

Discotek never released that movie, that was Bandai Entertainment 12 years ago.

Other than Seven Seas releasing the Cutie Honey A Go Go manga last year, none of the Anno adaptations are licensed.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in a how yuri this whole franchise is.
How yuri is this whole franchise?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this available again. We had gotten a request years ago for this title from a faculty member. But thing is that the series had already been discontinued from ADV line of titles that were re-released on DVD. Many might remember their re-release titles. Such as 'Kekko Kamen/Puni Puni Poemi'. There was ADV 'Essential Anime' line for 'Cutey Honey' but it's long out of circulation. So we could never own it. Now...WE CAN.

If only someone would finally release 'Re: Cutie Honey'. I mean with the 35 year anniversary of 'Dynamic Pro' and with revamps of Devilman and Cutie Honey (plus the new anime that got picked up, streamed and scheduled for release) and the manga you'd think someone would get on this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2