• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution Game's Video Reveals August Launch in West

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
If you have a Japanese account setup, you can already play the English version through the Japanese Switch eShop but I'm glad we have a release date for the US release. I plan on getting a physical copy of the game.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
How often does Japan get western developed games before the west does? Laughing
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting the release date to be so far away but I guess it getting a physical release is slowing things down. I don't mind waiting for that though. It's nice that a Yu-Gi-Oh! game is getting a physical release after all these years.

Just a shame I'm not more excited for the game itself. I'm mostly buying it to support more console Yu-Gi-Oh! games.
Moefan199

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I am really happy that this is getting a physical release over here in the states. While having the first game digitally on PS4 was ok I really like owning a physical copy of a game. I am hoping they eventually release this on the PS4 since I don't own a Switch. For all of you Yu-Gi-Oh fans on the switch I hope you have fun. Very Happy
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:35 am Reply with quote
I am hoping that this Yu-Gi-Oh! thing will have a new voice cast. What do you think?
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:03 am Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
I am hoping that this Yu-Gi-Oh! thing will have a new voice cast. What do you think?

I don't believe any of the prior Other Ocean Yu-Gi-Oh! games have had any kind of voice acting. Konami is pretty cheap in that regards. They used to take the voice acting out of the Tag Force games.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:17 am Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:

This one doesn't have any voicework at all.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:25 am Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:

Yu-Gi-Oh! video games in the west have always had a very small budget. They were never dubbed to begin with, unlike the Japanese games which had full voice-acting and quotes from the show like summoning chants and attack call outs. I think the worst handling of a Yu-Gi-Oh game was Duel Carnival for the 3DS. It was so low budget they cut out 90% of the content from the game and released it digital only in America as a budget release.

As nice as it would be to have an English option in the games, preferably by a new cast and not the old, woefully unfitting 4Kids cast, it just isn't financially viable to Konami of America to have any voice acting, let alone paying for all new voice actors.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
As nice as it would be to have an English option in the games, preferably by a new cast and not the old, woefully unfitting 4Kids cast, it just isn't financially viable to Konami of America to have any voice acting, let alone paying for all new voice actors.

This used to be true until Duel Links rolled around. They actually dubbed the game into English using the old 4Kids cast (with recasts only for unavailable actors), and even included an option to play with the Japanese voices instead. (a first for Yugioh)
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:17 am Reply with quote
The Power of Chaos Yugi/Kaiba/Joey games were also dubbed into English wayyyyy back in the day, but yeah this one has no voice acting at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1