• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5th Tenchi Muyo! OVA Season Previewed in 3 More Promo Videos

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:50 am Reply with quote
The 3rd OVA killed the majority of people's interest in the Tenchi franchise and the 4th buried it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
The 3rd OVA killed the majority of people's interest in the Tenchi franchise and the 4th buried it.
Maybe it is still popular in japan.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
While I'm glad to see the "Ryo-Ohki" OVA series continued, I can't help but notice that the quality of the animation on these newer OVAs aren't as good as the older 90s-era episodes.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Maybe it is still popular in japan.
The newer OVAs are largely made as fanservice for fans of the light novels which apparently still sell decently in Japan which those novels are unavailable for Western fans. I'm wondering if OVA4 will ever get licensed since so much of it relies on knowledge of the novels.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear Ai Orikasa as Ryoko again (she can still do her voice Very Happy), but my thoughts on the aesthetics are mixed. I really like the backgrounds, and the designs of the main characters are decent, but the movements feel stiff compared to older ones.

Then again, animation doesn't make the anime, and it's also interesting to see how this an OVA being released in a time and place in anime where normally said type of anime would be nonexistent (if I'm correct?).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Even if I'm not as fond as the newer OVA stuff, I still hope Funimation will license and dub the rest.
nDroae

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
(...)it's also interesting to see how this an OVA being released in a time and place in anime where normally said type of anime would be nonexistent (if I'm correct?).

Yeah, outside hentai, it's rare these days for an entire series or season to come out by debuting direct to video - no surprise considering that physical media sales have generally been declining for decades. Obviously you get the occasional one-off OVA or supplemental OVA following a TV series, and various series are "theatrical OVAs" which come out in theaters first before home video, though the episodes are not movie length - some within my circle of interest being Girls und Panzer das Finale, the Princess Principal sequel series, Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and its sequels (IIRC these episodes were combined into actual movie length for theaters), and The Ancient Magus Bride: Those Awaiting a Star.

Tenchi Muyo's producers opting not to invest in theatrical screenings would seem to support that this is an extremely niche-targeted anime. One could suggest they also don't think audiences want to see this animation on the big screen, though this past October some Japanese theaters were screening a "movie" consisting of 30 minutes of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJc5yvSqLk0 (anime#22342)
megazero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
This is like going back to the 90's, given the seiyuu lineup.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

That's certainly the way it was for me. 3rd OVA, IMHO, was awful. So was Tenchi in Tokyo. I enjoyed the original OVAs up through 2, the first two movies Night before the Carnival, the Mihoshi special, and Tenchi Universe. Beyond that? Meh.

@Sailor Sedna
Yes, I agree. I haven't seen any standalone OVAs in many years. Since the early 2000's they've really just been bonus episodes and spinoff sorts of things. I haven't heard of an actual episodic start-to-finish OVA in at least 10 years.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Nor have I.

I wonder what the fifth OVA will do, would it erase the damage the third and fourth OVAs did?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:40 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Nor have I.

I wonder what the fifth OVA will do, would it erase the damage the third and fourth OVAs did?
From what I've heard, it seems OVA5 will be set up for the events of War in Geminar and supposedly setting up the Tenchi harem wedding.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't matter how many western fans didn't like OVA series 3 and 4, no one making Tenchi cares. This franchise isn't "for you" anymore.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
It doesn't matter how many western fans didn't like OVA series 3 and 4, no one making Tenchi cares. This franchise isn't "for you" anymore.
I mean fans can't easily watch OVA4 anyway since they still haven't licensed it so they've made that clear they don't care about us but it's their loss if they don't want our cash.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I thought that decision was Funimation being smart by not licensing something hardly anyone wants to buy. Regardless, OVA 5 is presumably being made because OVA 4 sold well enough to justify it, so it'd be strange to expect it to course-correct in any way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1