• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - July 1, 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I've seen some of these on TV, streaming, or DVD in the past...

*The original Basilisk I've only seen a few episodes of. It has a really striking visual direction with some great animation and really over-the-top ninja action, but it seemed like its core would also focus on a lot of very serious and heavy interpersonal drama. I'm curious to see how it is as a whole, and how off-putting or not its over-the-top nature is or isn't. There's a lot of potential here, though, for fans of the genre.

*Haven't watched tons of Black Clover, and am not particularly a fan of it, but I did catch a good chunk of this arc on Toonami. From what I saw, this arc had a good mix of comedy, action, dramatic surprises, and quality character interactions. In other words, classic Shonen Jump-type material that was a decent amount of fun.

*I've seen this whole set of Dragon Ball Super episodes on Toonami, and they're pretty middle-of-the-road fare. There are some interesting conspiracies that brew and a few amusing battles, but nothing in this set is even as good as the Zeno Expo stuff that preceded it, in my opinion.

*Watched all of these episodes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Diamond is Unbreakable on Toonami. The dub continues to be amazing, and despite being more uneven and often less consequential than previous JoJo's seasons overall, the franchise continues to be fun, super-creative, must-see anime entertainment--even if, at times, it goes too far with some things, which can be off-putting.

*Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Chronicle of the Loum Battlefield helps round out the already very good Gundam: The Origin OVA series, giving it a much more satisfying two-part ending that feels like it leads right into the original Gundam 0079 (despite the fact that it changes some of the elements established in that series from 1979). A really entertaining watch, but you have to see the four OVA episodes that precede it first.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
And of course, the false impression of industry support from such patronage will continue to perpetuate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1