• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kickstarter Launches to Publish Naruto Manga in eBook

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
Why this need a Kickstarter? It Naruto, it going to sell anyway
ickybott555

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Why this need a Kickstarter? It Naruto, it going to sell anyway

More than likely Shueisha turned down the offer to work on this. Hell, I would get this myself.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
Uhm cartridge based? Why? This isnt 2002.
ZestyLime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
What is the point of this device? E-Readers have had wi-fi for like, 15 years now. This device is a regression of technology presented like it's something new.
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
This is just a big waste of natural resources. It wouldn't be so bad if they just marketed this as a e-reader that is designed to read any manga comfortably not just one series.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
An ereader specifically designed and optimized for manga is an awesome idea, but only having the ability to load one series at a time is a huge step backward. I would want a device I could connect to, say, Shueisha’s manga + app and be able to read a variety of series in better resolution than an ordinary Kindle.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:27 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

I'm guessing because it's the cheapest option available. No wifi or Bluetooth, no rechargeable battery, two very slow loading LED screens and probably some shockingly simple hardware inside. At best this is an SD card reader with two simple screens mounted to it. I'm guessing the bulk of that ridiculous $635 price tag (or $465 for the early bird option) is the manga content itself, it sure isn't from hardware expenses.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
I think it's a kinda cool idea, mainly aimed at people who want to have something physical and specifically Naruto manga related but have zero interest in collecting like 50 lbs of comics.

A lot of people are harping on it only being one series and I agree if we're talking about the value per dollar proposition of the device, but conceptually I'm not against a one series device. I probably would have been as much of a manga collector as I was an anime one had something like this existed.

Having said that, I'm not too keen on this. The value proposition isn't there. The tech is probably like $20 in Shenzhen to acquire and construct and I don't care how big or illustrious the series is, you start asking $600 bucks I think you're eliminating all but the most top end of buyers and imo the design doesn't look luxurious enough to suit that crowd.

Honestly, this device won't work imo until JP decides that a like a $300+ per user digital only licensing fee for a single series is crazy stupid expensive. I'd buy stuff like this for manga I liked if the price wasn't approaching monthly rent/mortgage.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:30 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

I'm guessing because it's the cheapest option available. No wifi or Bluetooth, no rechargeable battery, two very slow loading LED screens and probably some shockingly simple hardware inside. At best this is an SD card reader with two simple screens mounted to it. I'm guessing the bulk of that ridiculous $635 price tag (or $465 for the early bird option) is the manga content itself, it sure isn't from hardware expenses.

Emerje

It's e-ink, similar to Kindle. Reminder that most of the cost is the digital copy of the series!

The cheapest digital is $6.29 (Kindle) with 73 volumes is $459.73. Regular physical volumes are $9.99 MSRP so the cost for the entire series in physical would be $729.27 (although with Right Stuf sales, it could be as low about $401.50 new).

However with this Kickstarter, you're getting a special E-reader that will work with various other special eOneBook series if you like the feel of physical manga while reading on an e-ink device similar to Kindle. Overall, it's a preference thing and if you want to own the entire series digitally while saving room on your bookshelves.

A single device in Japan costs ¥35,000 JPY before tax. Full series range from ¥10,000 to ¥39,400. (src)

FYI Fist of the North Star is also available as an SD card cassette in a Japanese/English combo for anyone who would like to get it separately (you would have to use a Japanese forwarding service or shopping service to buy it though).

Agent355 wrote:
An ereader specifically designed and optimized for manga is an awesome idea, but only having the ability to load one series at a time is a huge step backward. I would want a device I could connect to, say, Shueisha’s manga + app and be able to read a variety of series in better resolution than an ordinary Kindle.

Shueisha & Viz resolution for their Kindle editions is still fairly compressed IMO. In comparison with Kodansha Comics through their Humble Bundle and Bookwalker volumes, Viz series have more jpg compression overall. I'm basing this opinion off my Bookwalker copy of a Japanese volume of Kimetsu no Yaiba and Kindle copy of The Right Way to Make Jump. Your point about being able to download stuff is valid too, but the main target audience is probably connecting some physical only manga collectors with enhanced digital.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1