• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Game Lineup Trailers for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine Mini Console Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 am Reply with quote
Dragon Spirit and Splatterhouse pleases me greatly.

Bummed that this is the final release of games and even more bummed that Legendary Axe and its sequel won't be on it. Sad

Guess you can't win em all...
joeydoa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Splatterhouse is a necessary addition but still several games to make it a must buy are missing: Aero Blasters, Blazing Lazers, Boxyboy, Devil's Crush, Dungeon & Dragons: Order of the Griffon, Legendary Axe, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, Raiden, Silent Debuggers. I understand licensing is at play but still no Silent Debuggers?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:50 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
Splatterhouse is a necessary addition but still several games to make it a must buy are missing: Aero Blasters, Blazing Lazers, Boxyboy, Devil's Crush, Dungeon & Dragons: Order of the Griffon, Legendary Axe, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, Raiden, Silent Debuggers. I understand licensing is at play but still no Silent Debuggers?

Blazing Lazers is included with this. Devil's Crush is not being included due to depictions of the Star of David on the table despite the U.S. release having censored the pentagram.

The others? I'm guessing rights issues.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:

Aero Blasters/Air Buster: Property of Kaneko, which went out of business in the mid-00s. No one seems to know who exactly has the rights to its library now.
Boxyboy: Likely not well known enough to warrant inclusion.
Devil's Crush: Alien Crush is the more well known of the two.
Dungeons & Dragons: Property of Hasbro/Wizard of the Coast.
Legendary Axe: Property of Victor Interactive Software, now owned by Marvelous Entertainment.
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Currently the property of Zojoi, which released a remastered version back in 2012.
Raiden: Currently the property of MOSS.
Silent Debuggers: Currently the property of G-Mode, which bought the rights to most of Data East's catalog.

With any of these "Mini" consoles, the company producing it can only enter so many licensing deals before it gets too costly, so some games have just got to give. One can only hope that, like the NES/SNES Mini & PS Classic before it, this Mini will get softmodded to allow more games to be added in the future. However, considering that this has been confirmed to be developed by M2, just like the Genesis Mini, modding won't be quite as simple, since M2 doesn't develop one emulator for all games, but rather gives each game its own personal emulator that's fine-tuned to each game's specific needs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1