• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grandia, Grandia II HD Remasters Launch for PC in September

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:35 am Reply with quote
I still remember how awful the PS2 port of Grandia II was compared to its Dreamcast brethren, hopefully they do it right this time.

Of the PS classics, Suikoden is still due for such treatment, but remembering it's Konami better expect left out in the cold henceforth too, pachinko versions not counted...
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:44 am Reply with quote
I already have Grandia for the Vita (downloaded). I might consider Grandia 2 if it gets remastered.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:49 am Reply with quote
It showed up on the Switch yesterday to my great surprise. (And delight.)

The only thing I can pick at is that I'm not a fan of how a lot of games blur 2D graphics, like the sprites in the first Grandia games, but I can live with that. (And it probably won't look as severe when I'm playing it on the Switch screen.) And ohohohhh... *pleasure shivers* ...that music.
HyugaHinata wrote:
I already have Grandia for the Vita (downloaded). I might consider Grandia 2 if it gets remastered.

The way you write this, I'm uncertain if you're aware that both games come in one package.

I didn't think Grandia 2 was all that bad on the PS2. Granted, I played the PAL version, which might have had an easier time avoiding the graphical glitches I heard the game was supposed to have, but the flip side to that was that the sounds for a lot of the magic and the special moves quickly ran out of sync. I've barely tested Grandia 1 so far, but it looks nice, aforementioned sprites aside. Since Grandia 2 is fully 3D, I expect it won't look as bad for that.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Grandia III launched for PlayStation 2 in 2005, and is also available on PC via Steam and PlayStation 3 via the PlayStation Network.

No, it's not? The only Grandia available on Steam is the second one, with the version available there being a significant upgrade of the already very competent PC port from 2002.

Whoever writes your gaming news should really learn how to double-check information. These kinds of mistakes happen pretty much constantly and they're kind of embarrassing.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:55 am Reply with quote
Noted on Twitter: https://twitter.com/obskyr/status/1162491796292853761
Quote:
It looks like the German translator of the Grandia HD Collection wasn't given enough context… When you miss an attack in battle, it says "FRÄULEIN!" – that's "miss" as in "lady", not as in "didn't hit". *Swings weapon* "UNMARRIED WOMAN!"

…which prompted translator Evan Ward to note: https://twitter.com/enjoievan/status/1162549922391945216
Quote:
this also implies there was zero QA done for any of the non-english languages and that those localizations were probably done through an agency that provides nothing but unsorted CAT scripts, something unfortunately common in our industry... for shame, @GungHo_America
LuScr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The version of Grandia II currently available on Steam is a bug-ridden mess.

I hope that this upcoming remaster is an actual functioning game.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:

The way you write this, I'm uncertain if you're aware that both games come in one package.

Are you sure? The listing on Steam for Grandia HD makes no mention at all of Grandia II. I don't know if they're sold as a collection elsewhere, but on Steam they appear to be separate.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh. Well, I got the Switch version of the Grandia collection, and it basically had both games in one package -- you can't choose one or the other. But I guess it's different on PC, then, maybe because Grandia 2 has been available there for a while?

Didn't mean to spread disinformation. Sorry about that.
Canal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Grandia 2 Anniversary Edition was released on Steam almost 4 years ago. The HD remaster of the first Grandia game will be released on Steam next month.
Cetais

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Northlander wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:

Are you sure? The listing on Steam for Grandia HD makes no mention at all of Grandia II. I don't know if they're sold as a collection elsewhere, but on Steam they appear to be separate.

Emerje

Only on Steam they aren't sold as a collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1