• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds 7 More Anime to Fall 2019 Simulcast Lineup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:26 am Reply with quote
I was not expecting Funi to get Africa Salaryman... Guess I'll resubscribe seeing as they have four shows that I want to watch this season.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:58 am Reply with quote
That English title for Kabukicho Sherlock should not exist, I'm sorry.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

Sounds fine to me.

Anyway, Funi sure has a lot of stuff this season (even if most of them are just sequels). Wasn't expecting them to get Kemono Michi or Africa Salaryman (for some reason I thought Sentai would be getting those), but I am glad they got Cautious Hero; that show looks fun. Still hoping they get ValxLove and possibly Azur Lane.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:31 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

Sounds fine to me.

I just think "Kabukicho Sherlock" is a better title. Though after some thought, I can understand them changing the name to avoid potential lawsuits.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:10 am Reply with quote
It was announced on Friday not saturday (with the exception of granblue). Just a heads up ANN.

I am really excited about Africa salaryman though. Having a toucan in a business suit arguing with a lion in a business suit just screams comedic events waiting to happen to. I cant help but wonder if they plan to do any word plays in the show sub/dub. I'm a sucker for 'toucan play this game" jokes and such.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
I'm actually excited for some of these. But still disappointed that Funimation didn't get Psycho Pass 3. Sad
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Not really seeing anything this season I'm interested in but might sample some things, I dunno.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll hasn’t announced SAO or Oresuki yet. Hope those won’t be timed Funi exclusives too. Also impatiently waiting to see who will get Assassins Pride.
Additionally, I hope Crunchyroll will find a way to dub some of their shows like Bookworm or Abilities Average.
dinoric81

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

Sounds fine to me.

I just think "Kabukicho Sherlock" is a better title. Though after some thought, I can understand them changing the name to avoid potential lawsuits.

Why would there be any lawsuits. I thought Sherlock was in the public domain so there should be no problem with keeping the title the same as the japanese version.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
dinoric81 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

Sounds fine to me.

Why would there be any lawsuits. I thought Sherlock was in the public domain so there should be no problem with keeping the title the same as the japanese version.

Public domain or not lawsuits are crazy ridiculous to the nth degree in the US. I'm not sure of the official reason but it could very well just be to mitigate anything potential like that.
el_morris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Great! More titles that anime fans in latin america we'll have to watch in illegal pages.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Kemono Michi, Cautious Hero, and Special 7 should be fun. It is amusing that they removed Sherlock out of the Kabukichō Sherlock anime though I have read that the copyright owners in the United States are still taking people to court since they claim they own the Sherlock copyright until 2023.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
I'm actually excited for some of these. But still disappointed that Funimation didn't get Psycho Pass 3. Sad

I am salty that Amazon licened the third season. Getting another company to licence the home video rights is nigh impossible.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
dinoric81 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

Sounds fine to me.

If I recall, -most- of Sherlock Holmes's stories and himself has entered public domain in the US, but there are a few stories that still has not yet. So by that logic, just because those last stories has not, the estate or whoever still thinks they own him. (and unfortunately, that's maybe the reason for Great Ace Attorney not being localized here.)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:

I am salty that Amazon licened the third season. Getting another company to licence the home video rights is nigh impossible.

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled with that turn of events. For a while, Sentai would release things that streamed on Amazon, but they also had some sort of arrangement that seems to have died off as soon as Amazon gave up on the Strike service.

Maybe Funimation will be motivated to pursue home video rights? It's possible those are still available since Amazon focuses on streaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2