• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shadowverse Card Battle Smartphone Game Gets TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
Eeeeeh... I waited for Shadowverse anime for a long time for sure... but what the actual heck is this art? Why does this look NOTHING like Shadowverse, which is supposed to looks like Rage of Bahamut in style at least, and more like the kids-oriented show?
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:12 am Reply with quote
When I heard Shadowverse anime, this isn't what I had in mind... Unless, the kid was supposed to get isekai-ed to SV world or something.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:34 am Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
When I heard Shadowverse anime, this isn't what I had in mind... Unless, the kid was supposed to get isekai-ed to SV world or something.
More like the whole SV suddenly got isekai-ed to the universe of Yu-Gi-Oh or Vanguard. Because again, it looks nothing like Shadowverse. It's not even aimed at the Shadowverse players, SV never even appeals to be kid-friendly game, it's 15+ at least with it's lore, it's stories and especially - it's art style.

Who even thought about this idea is even just good to be executed in anime form, is beyond my imagination.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:45 am Reply with quote
I dunno what you are talking about, the kids are always into eldritch horrors.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I dunno what you are talking about, the kids are always into eldritch horrors.
Well, if this copycat of Martial Arts Dragon from Vanguard looks like some gothic eldrich horror to you...
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
15+ is still considered a part of the Shonen Demo in japan, which elemenary school to the end of high school.

And i think the art looks dope, myself.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
Ever since 2017, I had a feeling that SV would eventually get an anime adaptation. From the visual, this is prolly gonna be another “I wanna be the BEST of the best!!!” series, but I’m just gonna wait for the premise and trailer to come out first instead of jumping the gun.
Alcest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
From Hearthstone ripoff to YGO ripoff.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
More like the whole SV suddenly got isekai-ed to the universe of Yu-Gi-Oh or Vanguard. Because again, it looks nothing like Shadowverse. It's not even aimed at the Shadowverse players, SV never even appeals to be kid-friendly game, it's 15+ at least with it's lore, it's stories and especially - it's art style.

Who even thought about this idea is even just good to be executed in anime form, is beyond my imagination.

Yu-Gi-Oh and Vanguard are aimed at the exact same demographic as Shadowverse in Japan so I don't know why you're so upset....

It's probably going to be about people who play the Shadowverse card game rather than stories from the in-universe setting because card anime are most successful when it's about kids playing the game rather than trying to give the game itself some kind of in-universe story
tootbrush

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
I don't know why you're so upset.... [...] trying to give the game itself some kind of in-universe story

Fans are disappointed because the game has a perfectly good, multi-arc story ripe for an anime adaptation. Its tone is similar to everyone's darling mobile game anime adaptation, Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, so it's not like there's no audience for it.

Japanese fans expected something else too, judging by all those replies to the announcement tweet that make fun of it or are like "??? what".
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Alcest wrote:
From Hearthstone ripoff to YGO ripoff.

Why jump to that conclusion (specifically calling it a YGO ripoff) without even watching a trailer first? Laughing

Rentwo wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh and Vanguard are aimed at the exact same demographic as Shadowverse in Japan

Wait, really? I was assuming Shadowverse was aimed at a slightly older demographic.

Rentwo also wrote:
card anime are most successful when it's about kids playing the game rather than trying to give the game itself some kind of in-universe story

Why?
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
Fans are disappointed because the game has a perfectly good, multi-arc story ripe for an anime adaptation. Its tone is similar to everyone's darling mobile game anime adaptation, Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, so it's not like there's no audience for it.

Pragmatically what do you think would have been more disappointing for the average viewer: Watching an anime that advertises a card game that teaches you the rules and stuff and you go try out the game and see the aesthetics are slightly off, or a fantasy anime where characters travel through different worlds getting on adventures and then you play the game only to realize it's just a card-based game where the storyline you like is only updated once very minimally every couple of months and is mostly filler battles against shadow creatures? Marketing wise it makes way more sense to do the former.
Rage of Bahamut isn't a card game though. It's a RPG-style game where the characters just so happen to be represented by cards. The gameplay was completely different so its a different scenario.

OjaruFan2 wrote:
Wait, really? I was assuming Shadowverse was aimed at a slightly older demographic.

Well the apps are rated the same on Google and Apple stores. Pretty much every card game is going to be aimed at the teenage boy demographic since it's the most profitable demographic

Quote:
Why?

I think for the reasons in my response to Tootbrush. It's more appealing to viewers to be able to play the game like on the show you like, rather than being surprised that the show you like is just a card game . There's an old interview with someone from Wizards of the Coast I read one time when Kaijudo was being marketed who said Japan is lucky they are allowed to make anime tie ins like this because in America there's laws that state you can't have the product your advertising in the show itself. So that was why Kaijudo was in-universe, as are the Magic the Gathering books WOTC also do, but in Japan all the Magic the Gathering manga are about people playing the card game like the 2018 series “Destroy All Humans. They Can’t Be Regenerated.”
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1