• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5th Tenchi Muyo! OVA Season Reveals More Cast, Ending Song Artist, Winter 2020 Debut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:08 am Reply with quote
They should have stopped after OVA3.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:12 am Reply with quote
Something about the art in the promo image looks a little unsettling. But this show isn't made for me so I probably won't watch it anyway ^^'
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
Hard to believe this is still on-going. Still the typical will-they-or-won't-they harem hijinks?
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:26 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Hard to believe this is still on-going. Still the typical will-they-or-won't-they harem hijinks?

From what i can tell you without spoilers, if the events that are being covered in this one are the ones i suspect you will get that answer in the first ep.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:08 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
Something about the art in the promo image looks a little unsettling.

Probably Kenshi's mouth and the design of that one lady (the one that isn't Kiriko) in general.
Doc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the new character Jovia Jovis (romanization not official, character seen left in visual below) Jovis is a sorcerer that dubs herself as "eternally 17 years old." Her beauty belies her perverted nature, and she treats Kenshi and Ryo-Ohki as playthings.

Beauty? Not according to that picture of her...

And sadly one of the best characters to come out of any Tenchi series is Kiyone and she sadly is not part of this universe. You would have thought they could have written her in by now.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
Too long between Kaori Oda anime songs, remembering Zero Tokai from Norn9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaf0NKV51yw
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
Some survivals of anime are beyond belief......they have a life of their own. Some of this one have been good, some awful. I can't believe they seriously mean anything by that illustration. I sure do hope not.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote
Even as a long-time Tenchi fan, must concede I'm not really looking forward to this new OVA series because it's gonna continue to use light novel material from series creator Masaki Kajishima that's largely been inaccessible for Western fans and will alienate said fanbase since the series will more than likely refer to events from said light novel material. This same issue gave me fits when I was watching the 4th OVA series years ago since I couldn't follow a good chunk of the lengthy conversations that Washu, the Galaxy Police, and members of Jurai's Royal Family were having.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Boogiepop47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Even as a long-time Tenchi fan, must concede I'm not really looking forward to this new OVA series because it's gonna continue to use light novel material from series creator Masaki Kajishima that's largely been inaccessible for Western fans and will alienate said fanbase since the series will more than likely refer to events from said light novel material. This same issue gave me fits when I was watching the 4th OVA series years ago since I couldn't follow a good chunk of the lengthy conversations that Washu, the Galaxy Police, and members of Jurai's Royal Family were having.

That's probably why we haven't seen these OVAs touched up by Funimation...
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Emi Shinohara, Michie Tomizawa and Yumi Touma being cast here? They're all great actresses (though I don't know if Shinohara and Tomizawa have done much of anything lately in terms of voice work), but I don't know if they'd be able to save this OVA.

Art illustration also sadly looks like it's going to be a case where you can judge a book by its cover...
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Same. I can only hope that the True Tenchi novels have done well enough that the GXP novels will be brought over so the 4th and 5th OVAs can be "safely" brought over.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Emi Shinohara, Michie Tomizawa and Yumi Touma being cast here? They're all great actresses (though I don't know if Shinohara and Tomizawa have done much of anything lately in terms of voice work), but I don't know if they'd be able to save this OVA.

Art illustration also sadly looks like it's going to be a case where you can judge a book by its cover...
Michie Tomizawa took over the role of Mihoshi after the original actress, Yuko Mizutani, passed away a few years ago.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I see, is she just as good as her?

I miss Yuko, she gave Mihoshi such an adorable voice. Crying or Very sad
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
"The logical explanation would be that Noike was introduced simply as a means to shut up the Kiyone-fans who want their girl pulled into the series." http://www.etherella.com/ryokomuyo/series_ova.htm

RyokoFanboy: "I'd also like to actually see Kiyone become a cannon character. Noike and Tenchi's mom's name (Kiyone also) was just a kick in the balls to the Kiyone fans everywhere." http://noneedfortenchi.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4913&view=next

Dr.Soviet: "I think the majority of Noike hate comes from Kiyone fans that are still 10 YEARS LATER mad about Noike being in OVA 3 and not Kiyone."
bishopcruz: "And yeah, the Kiyone fans. Kiyone is a fun foil people, but she's barely a character!!!!!!!"
LightHawkWing: "Hate to admit it but you're right about Kiyone. What else did she have going for her besides her partnership and disdain for Mihoshi?"
Tenchi Ryu: "I try to not really touch on this since I want to follow my own rules of not committing unnecessary character bashing, but Kiyone isn't exactly a special character to me. I definitely don't hate her, nor don't wish for her to never return. But my overall opinion of her is..."meh". She had the cop-duo thing going on with Mihoshi, but if you took that away, you didn't really have much else. I also think it took away a lot of Mihoshi's independence. Even in OVA 3, Mihoshi might be a clutz, but she still has her own life and her own hobbies."
https://www.uselesstenchi.org/Forum/index.php?topic=231.msg18085#msg18085

{Edit}: Removed some comments that really come off as just bait to start arguments. ~ Psycho 101
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2