• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Locals Warn of Disturbances Caused By Rising Popularity of Anime Pilgrimages

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bastille

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I went to Shirakawa-go in 2015 and my wife had mentioned Higurashi to the desk clerk at the ryokan we were staying at. The guy groaned and told us that he thought the craze had finally died down. At the same time, that particular sentiment didn't seem to be shared by everyone in the village.

When Ryukishi07 was at Sakura-con earlier in the year, I had asked him about Shirawakawa-go. He told us that he had recently attended a ceremony at Shirakawa-go where the mayor gave him a key to the city.

Some cities definitely embrace the tourism better than others,like the hometown of Detective Conan's mangaka, though I imagine a lot of it boils down to what the visitors are doing. When you have people taking photos in a manner that puts others at risk, such as the school intrusions, that's going too far.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
It's great to hear about the increased tourism, but it's frustrating to hear that some of the tourists can't behave themselves and act in a respectful manner to those around them. Most of these locales in anime aren't amusement parks meant for boisterous crowds, they're everyday locations where people go to school, live, and work. It's really easy to mean well but inadvertently get in someone's way.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
With the example of Shirakawa-go, I never would have heard about the place without Higurashi so these things can get a location recognised. They do not advertise the association though, I went this year and I saw no merch, the only reference being the plaques at the shrine. A shame, but there is so much to see anyway (and the weather was perfect).

Same with nearby Takayama, I forgot it was the setting for Hyouka until I saw a picture of the main characters in a cafe window. I saw no other association.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
The idea that someone would be like, "I really like this anime so let me break into a middle school and take pictures of children." Common sense is dying on a global scale.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
The idea that someone would be like, "I really like this anime so let me break into a middle school and take pictures of children." Common sense is dying on a global scale.

They could just be a Photo Kano fan. Wink
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Curious why anime using locals keep being ongoing with their tourism while the drama(that I assume to be live-action?) falls off two years or so after the showing. I think anime has more long lasting power plus more international fans.
timber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:30 am Reply with quote
"Girls und Panzer" cannot serve as reference. While the TV series dates from a few years ago, they are still making follow up movies.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:40 am Reply with quote
Set up a shop with goods to sell with the school's name on it, and they'll be happy to make great money for their school. It's scary how people can't find ways to take advantage of this situation...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1