• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Song Streaming Service ANiUTa Ends U.S. Service on March 31

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:05 am Reply with quote
That’s a shame
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:21 am Reply with quote
Never even heard of them.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:04 am Reply with quote
I'm wonder is it anything to do with Spotify, because most of the anime songs are now available on Spotify. I'm remember a few years ago, there are almost no anime songs on Spotify and not easy to find and listen your favorite anime songs legally. But then there are more(OK mostly) anime songs on Spotify than ever and you can listen to your favorite anime songs legally.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote
Totally forgot about this app. But I do wonder how you will still be charged if the service ends if you don’t cancel. It’s not like it will switch to the Japanese service.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:24 am Reply with quote
Why ANiUTa doesn't get a lot of worldwide love, but why they are shutting is no fair.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
I forgot completely about this..

I am in no way surprised about this.. when something is readily available at no charge via other means.. a good business model this does not make.

Still sad to see something like this go, but such is the fate of a company that doesn't understand its market.
halo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
I installed the Android app on a rooted phone I sue for a sandbox and it immediately started trying to get elevated privileges. I'm not saying it was hacked to running some malicious code but it was enough for me to delete it and never try it again.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
I subscribed for a few months but it was pretty disappointing. Maybe the worst thing was that you could do a search and various artists would auto complete, but they didn’t actually have any songs. I suspected that meant that those artists existed on the Japanese version of the service, but not the American. Honestly it’s quite possible that Apple Music has more anisongs than ANiUTa US ever did.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
Yeah I completely expected this to happen any time now. I was a huge proponent of this app when it was first released, but it just had too many issues and shortcomings. The English catalog was too small, and the Japanese version was/is already missing a lot of popular music to begin with. It's difficult to browse for music, and the English version was even worse. IIRC, your library was limited to like, 1000 songs? Which seems like a lot but fills up very quickly when you're adding OSTs. And it was mostly worthless to me without a desktop version, since I listen to most of my music while I'm working and don't want to drain my phone battery, but I'm probably in the minority there.

The only thing I really ended up using it for was for the playlists. It was nice to have "official" playlists of all the new anime openings of the season, since the fanmade Spotify playlists tend to be full of bad covers and stuff. And the seiyuu's playlists were kind of neat. But not worth having to use a completely separate music app for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TD912

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
Apple Music has had a lot of anisong for a while, and more recently Spotify has been adding more to their library too. So I guess this really isn't a surprise.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
Apple Music has had a lot of anisong for a while, and more recently Spotify has been adding more to their library too. So I guess this really isn't a surprise.

And you know, I wonder if AniUta kinda shot itself in the foot. I remember an interview (on ANN maybe?) where the founder talked about all the hurdles they had to get through to get all these Japanese record labels to agree to upload anime music onto streaming services at all. But it seemed like it wasn't ever too long after AniUta would get new music that all that music would turn up on other streaming services too.

It kind of seems like AniUta did all the hard work but all the other larger, better streaming services got all the music too, which killed most of the incentive of using AniUta in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
They are still adding some J-Music to Spotify, but unfortunately, some songs putted on Spotify often get region blocked to certain regions.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Given that labels like Lantis and Avex have heavy presence on streaming services now, it seemed the end was likely near for a separate streaming service just for anison.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:10 am Reply with quote
That's a service I might've subscribed to if I didn't still mainly listen to music on a CD Walkman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
It kind of seems like AniUta did all the hard work but all the other larger, better streaming services got all the music too, which killed most of the incentive of using AniUta in the first place.
This is one reason why I'm wary of calls for anime streaming sites to go to non-exclusive licensing. If some site like Hulu has all the reasonably in-demand seasonal anime plus solid a back catalog of classics, who's going to go to CR/Funi/HiDive when they can get all the same anime plus a wealth of Western entertainment shows from Hulu?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2