×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the new ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korean Publisher Cancels Release of Little Miss P Manga


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Calico



Joined: 05 Jan 2013
Posts: 383
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I definitely need more information on this. Is it because the author was misogynistic and made light of sexual harassment in their previous works, or did they criticize sexual harassment in a way that made people uncomfortable? The former is probably more likely, but still. I also hate the thought that the manga's release was stopped because of its subject matter, because periods exist and people should be able to talk about their periods without being ashamed.

Also, the linked article goes on to talk about how one department store put in a policy of letting its female employees wear a pin of the period character when they were on their period which doesn't seem like that good of an idea for various reasons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 6157
Location: USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
This is one weird book. Well it can join the ranks of Roberta Gregory's 'B*tchy B*tch!" because it's right up that alley.

I got my eye on this one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Alessa_SH1



Joined: 31 Jan 2016
Posts: 62
Location: 界王神界
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
err.. can we address it for what it is 'Menstruation' instead of the lightly word period. damn it!

this goes next to "every body poops" book also from japan. (well, i found their version a lot more hilarious!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arale Kurashiki



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 650
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Alessa_SH1 wrote:
err.. can we address it for what it is 'Menstruation' instead of the lightly word period. damn it!

Nobody is gonna say "I'm on my menstruation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenbyakugon



Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 725
Location: Michigan, United States
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
So the subject matter is only as sensitive as you make it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
zawa113



Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 7312
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote
I've never understood why periods, which half the population deals with/suffers from involuntarily is taboo, yet are freely allowed erection jokes and references (also affects half the population, but may or may not be involuntary).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Arale Kurashiki



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 650
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:20 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I've never understood why periods, which half the population deals with/suffers from involuntarily is taboo, yet are freely allowed erection jokes and references (also affects half the population, but may or may not be involuntary).

I'd say they're involuntary yeah. Even if you seek one out you still don't really have control over what your body's gonna do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Narutofreak1412



Joined: 22 Feb 2015
Posts: 337
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:27 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I've never understood why periods, which half the population deals with/suffers from involuntarily is taboo, yet are freely allowed erection jokes and references (also affects half the population, but may or may not be involuntary).


I don't think that comparison really works. Erection jokes are usually about sexual arousement, so the female equivalent would be jokes about getting wet. But people rarely do this in media, because then people would cry about female sexualizaton and stuff...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marshmallowpie



Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 273
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:22 am Reply with quote
Certainly curious about what's in the mangaka's past works that's controversial, but I'm glad Yen Press has already released this and no one can take it from me. It's a pretty unique, cute, and weird manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4448
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I've never understood why periods, which half the population deals with/suffers from involuntarily is taboo, yet are freely allowed erection jokes and references (also affects half the population, but may or may not be involuntary).


I think it's more of the fact that no one really likes the idea of talking about periods as it involves talking about the idea of involuntarily bleeding from a certain part of the body.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whiskeyii



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1952
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I think it's more of the fact that no one really likes the idea of talking about periods as it involves talking about the idea of involuntarily bleeding from a certain part of the body.


I’ve really only found this to be the case with dudes, which I always found odd, because most dudes have a sister or a female significant other or a female friend where it feels like this would just come up in conversation at least once, even if it’s just “periods suck”. I genuinely don’t get why this is such a squicky topic; for kids and teens I could understand, but grown adults? They should be able to take it in stride as just another bodily function.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavetheUsher



Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 472
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:52 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I’ve really only found this to be the case with dudes, which I always found odd, because most dudes have a sister or a female significant other or a female friend where it feels like this would just come up in conversation at least once, even if it’s just “periods suck”. I genuinely don’t get why this is such a squicky topic; for kids and teens I could understand, but grown adults? They should be able to take it in stride as just another bodily function.


To be fair not many people are really down with scat or urine either. Body waste may all be natural body things, but it doesn't mean people are ever thrilled to deal with changing a catheter bag or bed pan. I'll admit I may just be a big baby though when it comes to dealing with body fluids like that though Razz I mean, conversation is one thing, but actually doing this stuff IRL is another. I've changed many diapers in my life and it's never gotten any more pleasant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan45
Village Elder



Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8974
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I've never understood why periods, which half the population deals with/suffers from involuntarily is taboo, yet are freely allowed erection jokes and references (also affects half the population, but may or may not be involuntary).


I expect it depends on who you are with and the circumstances. Some people don't want to talk of anything to do with sex and some don't want to hear discussion of any bodily function. If you are in a predominately male gathering they may not be comfortable discussing a woman's period as they simply don't understand it. Erection problems, to the contrary they are intimately familiar with. Mad Of course in many contexts neither discussion is appropriate. Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
nargun



Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 892
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
So the subject matter is only as sensitive as you make it.


No, it's as sensitive as everyone else makes it. And people act with deferencd and avoid topics that they see others avoid: it's not enough to not be bothered yourself, you have to know that other people aren't bothered either.

Coordination problems crop up everywhere, but they're a particular issue with social change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenbyakugon



Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 725
Location: Michigan, United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:
So the subject matter is only as sensitive as you make it.


No, it's as sensitive as everyone else makes it. And people act with deferencd and avoid topics that they see others avoid: it's not enough to not be bothered yourself, you have to know that other people aren't bothered either.

Coordination problems crop up everywhere, but they're a particular issue with social change.


Hence my statement. I was speaking to each individual of the collective personally since that collective, as you say, is what it’s about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group