• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Jump Editor-in-Chief Explains What's Unusual About Demon Slayer's Success

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Gotouge-sensei's success with Demon Slayer! This series is in my top 5 anime of 2019, and like the rest of my top 5, has inspired me to support the physical release in the future when I have some spare cash and free time to read.
Bueller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"The way people interact with anime has changed, and I feel like we've entered a new phase."

Nah, Demon Slayer's success has to do with production and advertising. If it had been a more traditional adaptation, it probably wouldn't have become so famous (the manga, by itself, never was). On the other hand, if Black Clover or Dr Stone had the same treatment they would have become big hits too.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Yoshiro Togashi called it I guess. He very early on said that the series had something.

It still surprises me. I like Demon Slayer, I think it's solid, but did not expect it to shoot on so high. I think it shows you can't underestimate a well done anime adaptation.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Wish, World Trigger was this successful. Anyway, glad Demon Slayer is successful. Probably should get around and read/watch it.
It is odd, that demon slayer is the only Jump manga I avoided. I don't know why I would read Black Clover over it (and I not a fan of Black Clover)
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Bueller wrote:

Nah, Demon Slayer's success has to do with production and advertising. If it had been a more traditional adaptation, it probably wouldn't have become so famous (the manga, by itself, never was). On the other hand, if Black Clover or Dr Stone had the same treatment they would have become big hits too.

Ditto. Demon Slayer's story is really nothing special, but when you cover it with jaw dropping, gorgeously directed animation that puts many feature films to shame, and also inject some angsty blood 'n guts to hook the teens, yeah you got a recipe for success.

Maybe this show will make producers realize putting some effort into their adaptations instead of slapping out some rushed, half-assed garbage will pay off more in the long run. (Though probably not)
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Wish, World Trigger was this successful. Anyway, glad Demon Slayer is successful. Probably should get around and read/watch it.
It is odd, that demon slayer is the only Jump manga I avoided. I don't know why I would read Black Clover over it (and I not a fan of Black Clover)

Ditto. WT was my favourite jump manga when it was running there and though I deeply love Kimetsu no yaiba a part of me wishes that WT had gotten this kind of traction.

Also, while the anime played a big role on the rise of the manga that wouldn't have lasted so long if it wasn't for the merits of the story itself. KnY is Jump Manga realized to its full potential.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:42 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Yoshiro Togashi called it I guess. He very early on said that the series had something.

It still surprises me. I like Demon Slayer, I think it's solid, but did not expect it to shoot on so high. I think it shows you can't underestimate a well done anime adaptation.

This is my first time hearing Togashi actually commenting on Demon Slayer. What exactly did he say about the series?
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

Ditto. WT was my favourite jump manga when it was running there and though I deeply love Kimetsu no yaiba a part of me wishes that WT had gotten this kind of traction.

Also, while the anime played a big role on the rise of the manga that wouldn't have lasted so long if it wasn't for the merits of the story itself. KnY is Jump Manga realized to its full potential.

I completely agree with the second part of your post. There is no doubt that the anime played a big role in its massive popularity, but it isn't the only reason. If people didn't enjoy the manga they would stop buying it after a few volumes and the sales would start to fall off in the later volumes, but the later volumes are selling just as well as the earlier ones.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Bueller wrote:
Quote:
"The way people interact with anime has changed, and I feel like we've entered a new phase."

I disagree with that last sentence about Black Clover. That anime failed to take off because it's source material just isn't very good. I mean the beginning of Black Clover is so shamelessly derivative of other works that any adaptation would've had a hard time trying to get something worth while out of it.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why the World Trigger anime never caught on.

Till I found out one fight was 22 minutes long (the full length of an episode) & was stretched out across 6 episodes.

That’s when I realized how Toei was handling the anime.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:09 am Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

This is my first time hearing Togashi actually commenting on Demon Slayer. What exactly did he say about the series?

He mentioned it a few times early as a series he was checking out in a interview along with Dr.Stone and World Trigger. Vol4 was advertised as being personally recommended by him.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:52 am Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

I completely agree with the second part of your post. There is no doubt that the anime played a big role in its massive popularity, but it isn't the only reason. If people didn't enjoy the manga they would stop buying it after a few volumes and the sales would start to fall off in the later volumes, but the later volumes are selling just as well as the earlier ones.

Well, Ashihara's health is pretty bad. Even before he went on hiatus for 2 years, he would frequently take several unscheduled breaks. So even if the series blew up, it still would've eventually hit a wall.

But make no mistake about it; although World Trigger didn't blow up like Demon Slayer, if you look at how well the volumes were selling before it went on hiatus for 2 years, it was one of the best-sellers in WSJ, consistently selling better than series like My Hero Academia. Really, the only series in WSJ it wasn't outselling during the anime's run was extremely popular series in Japan (at the time) like One Piece, Gintama, Assasination Classroom and Haikyuu. When you look at the newer manga in Jump at the time (WT included in that group), it was easily the best-seller. And surprisingly, sales per volume have gone up since the the manga returned. So although it didn't blow up massively, it's done an incredible job of retaining the fans it got during it's peak (especially when you consider all the 2-year hiatus and several other sudden breaks).

So even after all these years, despite the 2-year hiatus, frequent breaks, and not the best anime adaptation, it's still doing well. Whether or not Demon Slayer can hold up is very much up in the air. Not saying Demon Slayer's sales will drop lower than World Trigger (it probably never will, given how much it sold this year), but whether or not it can maintain the sales it got during it's peak (like World Trigger has) remains to be seen.

I mean, look at the Seven Deadly Sins, it only took one year for it sales to go from 10 mil to 5 mil, and didn't even make the top 10 last year. And compare that to Kingdom, which didn't even make the top 30 in sales the year it first got it's anime, but has managed to increase in popularity and maintain it's top 10 spot since it got in (for 4 years now).

So don't envy Demon Slayer just yet, and be happy at how well World Trigger is doing, despite everything that's been thrown at it.

Last edited by AutoOps007 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:30 am Reply with quote
It's kind of funny to me how Demon Slayer has come out of nowhere after everyone was hyping up Promised Neverland as the next big shonen hit but now it feels like most people have already moved on from it. Like I'm sure it has manga readers but I rarely see people talking about it on social media like I do Demon Slayer.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's kind of funny to me how Demon Slayer has come out of nowhere after everyone was hyping up Promised Neverland as the next big shonen hit but now it feels like most people have already moved on from it. Like I'm sure it has manga readers but I rarely see people talking about it on social media like I do Demon Slayer.

I mean, is it really surprising though? Both The Promised Neverland and Dr Stone, could have never been as huge as Demon Slayer, because they are lacking the classic Shounen Jump tropes. To make it short, they don't have fights. Of course, you could argue that they do, but it should be clear what I mean by that.

Special attacks, Names for your moves, Training Arcs etc. Demon Slayer stays true to what people expect from Shounen Jump, while Dr Stone and especially The Promised Neverland, are pretty different.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:25 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

No, people did hype the Promised Neverland, but even before the anime was announced, most people knew that it wouldn't be the next big shounen hit, cause it was never expected to go that long. Heck, even in the beginning, everyone knew the way the story was set-up, that it would never last long enough to be considered the next big hit. That factor also deters people from wanting to read it, cause they know it will be gone soon enough (or people are waiting for it to finish so they can binge it all at once, since it will be a short series overall).

And also, most series that blow-up come out of nowhere, but Promised Neverland managed to make the top 10 manga sales before it's anime came, so people set the bar for it really high, so that's what everyone paid attention to. People did talk about Promised Neverland, but it happened before the anime, cause that's when it started to blow up (unlike most anime, where it blows up when the anime comes).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3