×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Inferno Cop Voice Actor Junichi Goto Passes Away in Motorcycle Accident at 40




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cookiemanstah



Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 512
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:46 am Reply with quote
NEVER ride motorcycles or bicycles if you value long life. RIP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thespacemaster



Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 858
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:28 am Reply with quote
Ah nuts he was still quite young, RIP Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VinceA
Subscriber



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 121
Location: Bayonne, NJ
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:21 am Reply with quote
A voice of justice has been silenced. RIP Goto-san
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Fred Lougee



Joined: 01 Oct 2018
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
NEVER ride motorcycles or bicycles if you value long life. RIP.


Heck. Just sit at home on your computer doing nothing. You will probably die at 45 of obesity due to lack of exercise and poor diet but you have never done anything "dangerous" and your life will be so boring and tedious that it will feel like you have been sitting there for at least a century.

SMH.

70 years, 50, 40, 20. Whatever. Life is short. Live it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 16781
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Keep it civil and respectful folks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Actar



Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 1074
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
NEVER ride motorcycles or bicycles if you value long life. RIP.


Heck. Just sit at home on your computer doing nothing. You will probably die at 45 of obesity due to lack of exercise and poor diet but you have never done anything "dangerous" and your life will be so boring and tedious that it will feel like you have been sitting there for at least a century.

SMH.

70 years, 50, 40, 20. Whatever. Life is short. Live it.


Way to strawman the argument. I suppose you ride one yourself? Sadly, it is an undeniable fact that riding a motorcycle is 27-29 times more dangerous/deadly than riding a car (depending on the study).

Quote:
Motorcycles have a few major differences that make them inherently more dangerous.

Any motorcyclist will be quick to tell you skill and smarts are key to staying alive and in one piece. And the statistics don't sort out irresponsible motorcyclists from responsible ones. But all motorcyclists start out with some disadvantages. Because they have two wheels instead of four, the driver's balance and driving abilities — including quick reflexes — play a more critical role. And a motorcyclist rides out in the open, rather than inside the steel cage of a car frame. The resulting sense of freedom makes motorcycles so appealing to so many people, but it also comes with risk. And because motorcycles are more difficult to see than cars, they're more likely to be hit by other drivers. Without a car's structural protection, a motorcycle rider involved in a crash is more likely to suffer serious or fatal injuries.

Meanwhile, even as automotive manufacturers develop new technology to make cars even safer, motorcycle manufacturers have fewer options. Motorcycle features such as mirrors with larger fields of view, brighter headlights and motorcycle airbags can help reduce risk of a crash or the severity of an injury. But in general, motorcycles aren't marketed as safer than the previous year's model or the competitor's model, and they lack the technology-driven safety features available in new cars. Motorcycle drivers don't have time to check out a rear-view camera, for example. Motorcyclists can't afford to be distracted by a lane-departure warning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AkumaChef



Joined: 10 Jan 2019
Posts: 821
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I rode motorcycles for about 20 years but I have since stopped riding on the street. All I do is trackdays now because that essentially eliminates the chance of being hit by a car. Fortunately I have never been in an accident or a collision, but I can tell you that I had many close calls. The visibility problem is very real--on many occasions I have seen drivers look straight at me yet still nearly hit me--and that's on a bright yellow or red bike wearing full, brightly colored, safety gear. The problem got exponentially worse with the proliferation of drivers being distracted by their phones, and that's why I stopped riding on the street. There is no doubt that riding motorcycles is dangerous.

That said, I do think it's a bit silly to say that people should never ride them. Many people take similar (or worse) risks all the time yet seem to think little of it. In my opinion risks are one of those things that everyone evaluates differently. A friend of mine loves to rant about the dangers of motorcycle riding, yet he's one of the worst people I know about driving distracted because of his phone toy (and as actually caused accidents because of it). I believe that if you take two random people you will find that each one engages in at least some behavior that the other considers unreasonably dangerous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RhinocerousTrilbies



Joined: 09 Dec 2019
Posts: 26
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Really sad to hear this. R.I.P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GX5000



Joined: 17 Mar 2019
Posts: 12
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Being in my fifties it pains me when someone younger dies like this.
F
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
harminia



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 1718
Location: australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad R.I.P to a legend....... thank you for everything
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zimmer



Joined: 08 Jul 2015
Posts: 120
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Fred Lougee wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
NEVER ride motorcycles or bicycles if you value long life. RIP.


Heck. Just sit at home on your computer doing nothing. You will probably die at 45 of obesity due to lack of exercise and poor diet but you have never done anything "dangerous" and your life will be so boring and tedious that it will feel like you have been sitting there for at least a century.

SMH.

70 years, 50, 40, 20. Whatever. Life is short. Live it.


Way to strawman the argument. I suppose you ride one yourself? Sadly, it is an undeniable fact that riding a motorcycle is 27-29 times more dangerous/deadly than riding a car (depending on the study).

Quote:
Motorcycles have a few major differences that make them inherently more dangerous.

Any motorcyclist will be quick to tell you skill and smarts are key to staying alive and in one piece. And the statistics don't sort out irresponsible motorcyclists from responsible ones. But all motorcyclists start out with some disadvantages. Because they have two wheels instead of four, the driver's balance and driving abilities — including quick reflexes — play a more critical role. And a motorcyclist rides out in the open, rather than inside the steel cage of a car frame. The resulting sense of freedom makes motorcycles so appealing to so many people, but it also comes with risk. And because motorcycles are more difficult to see than cars, they're more likely to be hit by other drivers. Without a car's structural protection, a motorcycle rider involved in a crash is more likely to suffer serious or fatal injuries.

Meanwhile, even as automotive manufacturers develop new technology to make cars even safer, motorcycle manufacturers have fewer options. Motorcycle features such as mirrors with larger fields of view, brighter headlights and motorcycle airbags can help reduce risk of a crash or the severity of an injury. But in general, motorcycles aren't marketed as safer than the previous year's model or the competitor's model, and they lack the technology-driven safety features available in new cars. Motorcycle drivers don't have time to check out a rear-view camera, for example. Motorcyclists can't afford to be distracted by a lane-departure warning.
And this is hardly the appropriate time and place to try to make such a point. It comes off incredibly insensitive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Actar



Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 1074
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:14 am Reply with quote
Zimmer wrote:
And this is hardly the appropriate time and place to try to make such a point. It comes off incredibly insensitive.


I respectfully disagree with that assessment and feel like your indignation is directed towards the wrong comment. Simply highlighting motorcycle safety facts in light of a motorcycle accident (especially in response to another comment) is hardly disrespectful or insensitive by any stretch of the imagination. That's tantamount to saying that telling people "not washing your hands will increase your risk of infection" is insensitive to those who sadly lost their lives due to the new coronavirus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
XaelOstigian



Joined: 25 Oct 2019
Posts: 59
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace in heaven...or kick ass in hell as Inferno Cop! Either way, you left us too soon buddy. We will miss you. Anime cry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group