• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Summer 2021, Jul 29-Aug 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote
So can someone give me an update on why tokyo revengers, my next life as a villaness and to your eternity have not been doing that well.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Can The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated be added to the rankings now that it has started airing? I'm curious what people think of that show.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
So can someone give me an update on why tokyo revengers, my next life as a villaness and to your eternity have not been doing that well.

I can't comment on the first two, but the most recent arc of To Your Eternity has just been... not very good. Both of the quality of the writing and the animation are noticeably worse than everything leading up to this point, and the primary character of the new arc seems to be almost intentionally unlikable.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

As mentioned, TYE arc is not very interesting the character who your supposed to feel sympathy for is not very sympathetic, the situation the MC is in is pretty flat and the animation quality has nose dived.

Villainess is just back to baseline after ep 4 spike, if you mean the why the entire season has been low, that's because the show has essentially no new ideas and has just been spinning its wheel all season, acting like progress is happening without actually doing anything remotely close to progress.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:01 am Reply with quote
I'm glad ANN brought back these rankings after an over two-year hiatus. I think they give a better idea of how well a show holds up after its first episode, and not every show I watch as it debuts. There's a lot of shows I've watched that made a good first impression but didn't have a lot of staying power.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:16 am Reply with quote
From what I've read, To Your Eternity is following the manga quite closely and thus including the current uninspired arc.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I did the rating survey and I'm dismayed that Pretty Cure is getting the ratings it is. It is truly the most joyful anime of the year and it's encouraging and inspiring.

And I agree that Villainess deserves higher ratings than it's getting. It's nice to see Aquatope and Kageki Shoujo get good scores, though. I have to say that Kiyo in Kyoto's low ratings are surprising me, since it's cute and wholesome and in my experience a rating less than 3 means a lot of people were somehow offended. There's nothing offensive about Kiyo and it's heartwarming, too. Deserves better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1