• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation, HIDIVE, Hulu Stream Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
God bless Aniplex for not playing favorites. I wish all Japanese companies would do the same. Only when every anime is on every streaming service will we get actual competition. Right now it costs hundreds a year if you want to watch even 50% of the new anime that comes out thanks to exclusivity BS. Proper competition would also force the streaming services to actually improve their quality and innovate.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:20 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
God bless Aniplex for not playing favorites. I wish all Japanese companies would do the same. Only when every anime is on every streaming service will we get actual competition. Right now it costs hundreds a year if you want to watch even 50% of the new anime that comes out thanks to exclusivity BS. Proper competition would also force the streaming services to actually improve their quality and innovate.

It's not necessarily a matter of "playing favorites"; money and bidding wars are involved, plus the fact that Japanese companies might not want to go through the process of sending scripts/materials and approving translations for 5 different services every week, all for dubious benefits. Or have their show diluted by 5 different translations and dubs.

It's as if anime is expensive niche imported entertainment, and it's no surprise that watching everything is going to be more expensive than only watching a handful. I've seen these same talking points from that YouTuber who wants to sabotage the industry by convincing paying customers to pirate instead. Although he speaks of ending exclusivity as some kind of game-changer for the "pay vs. pirate" equation, I have to think that the kinds of "amoral consumer" pirates he cultivates will just say, "Pirate sites still have a better selection for free," even if exclusivity went away tomorrow. And I don't know where you're getting those numbers in the first place, as I'm fairly sure that Funi+CR+HiDive would be a majority of seasonal anime for under $20 a month. For MAL's most popular shows in Winter 2020:

(Note: VRV omitted due to redundancy with CR/HiDive)

Interspecies Reviewers = was Funimation
1) Haikyu! To the Top = CR
2) Darwin's Game = CR/Funi/HiDive (another Aniplex USA title)
3) In/Spectre = CR (could be considered "1st party CR" title, since they're on the production committee)
4) BOFURI = Funi, Hulu
5) Keep Your Hands off Eizouken! = CR
6) Somali and the Forest Spirit = CR
7) Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun = Funi, Hulu
8) Plunderer = Funi, Hulu
9) ID: Invaded = Funi, Hulu
10) Dorohedoro = Netflix (delaycast)
11) Isekai Quartet 2 = CR, Funi
12) Magia Record = CR/Funi/HiDive (Aniplex USA)
13) A Certain Scientific Railgun T = CR, Funi
14) Nekopara = Funi
15) Infinite Dendrogram = Funi
16) Seton Academy: Join the Pack! = CR
17) Pet = Amazon?
18) Room Camp = CR
19) Smile Down the Runway = Funi, Hulu
20) Asteroid in Love = CR, Funi
21) Orphen = Funi
Overflow = unavailable, ComicFesta "borderline H" series
22) The Case Files of Jeweler Richard = CR
23) A Destructive God Sits Next to Me = CR
24) Hatena Illusion = Funi
25) 22/7 = CR, Funi
26) If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die = Funi
Natsunagu = not available, promotional shorts
27) Number24 = Funi
28) Bang Dream S3 = HiDive
29) Uchitama?! Have you seen my Tama? = CR, Funi
30) Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga = CR
31) Yatogame-chan Observation Diary = CR
32) A3! = Funi, Hulu
33) SHOW BY ROCK!! Mashumairesh!! = Funi
34) ARP Backstage Pass = CR
Breakers = not available
Healin' Good Precure = as usual for Precure, not available
+ 6 other kodomo/mina shows that aren't available and nobody cares about

Sure, there might be some seasonal variations if Netflix or Amazon pick up another show here and there. However, just getting Crunchyroll and Funimation for $14 a month during Winter 2020 gets you 31/34 (91%) of these. VRV + Funi for $16 a month gets 32/34 (94%). CR alone = 18/34 (53%). Funi alone = 20/34 (59%). CR+Funi for a year = $168 (or $140 if paying yearly rather than monthly), VRV+Funi for a year = $192 ($180 with Funimation yearly, no discount for VRV).

Any of those combinations yield at least 90% of legally-available airing anime as it airs, for under $200 -- a far cry from the "50% for $500" figure that you've cited before. And that's not even considering the extensive back catalogues on all three sites, with home-video/uncensored versions available on HiDive and Funimation. Considering that in the pre-streaming era, watching that percentage of airing anime would've meant waiting years and spending thousands of dollars, it's hard to see today's landscape as anything but a massive shift in a pro-consumer direction. Spending $170 (average of above 4 numbers) worth of today's money in mid-2006 would've purchased roughly one 24-episode series from 2-3 years prior.

EDIT: Numbers updated to reflect Pet being on Amazon.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Pet = apparently not available

Pet is available on Amazon, but that doesn’t really change the math much. As you said, getting CR and Funimation will get you nearly every seasonal anime we can watch for under $200 a year. Maybe there was a case to be made about the fragmentation of the marketplace at the peak of Amazon’s licensing, but that’s not really the case anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1