• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NHK World Streams Hayao Miyazaki 4-Part Documentary for Free

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this already. 4 episodes of him grumbling and moaning that it's not going well to the point he contemplates quiting and retiring through out the series. Him being a grumpy old sod who smokes like an old Russian aircraft carrier whilst everyone working round him are walking on egg shells he's going to tear into them at any moment like a bear with a sore head. Rolling Eyes
This is a repeat and it was always free to begin with as NHK World is a free subscription, at least in the UK it is. Wink
Speaker-to-Cats

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Why is this news? Did they just now notice it?
Maybe desperate for content with the shutdown?

My wife and I still loves the grumpy old bear's works.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
It's an excellent documentary, also covering Goro and Hayao's relationship. Gets my creative juices flowing! It's nice to know that Miyazaki faces the same creative frustrations as the rest of us mere mortals. There's a lot more to him than the tired caricature that he's just a grump. These grumps get things done. The older I get, the more appreciation I have for these guys. Plus we get an idea of why their production takes so long, and with good reason. These old guys output and throw away more in a year than the majority of art college students portfolio pieces put together.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
It's an excellent documentary, also covering Goro and Hayao's relationship. Gets my creative juices flowing! It's nice to know that Miyazaki faces the same creative frustrations as the rest of us mere mortals. There's a lot more to him than the tired caricature that he's just a grump. These grumps get things done. The older I get, the more appreciation I have for these guys. Plus we get an idea of why their production takes so long, and with good reason. These old guys output and throw away more in a year than the majority of art college students portfolio pieces put together.

his relationship with goro is a pretty disgusting demonstration of old Asia parental neglect and expectations. Also, he is somewhat involved in someone's death. So he's not a "grump" as much as a jerkass.

but apart from Ponyo, i like all his movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1