• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ESRB, PEGI Add Descriptors for Games With In-Game Purchases for Loot Boxes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I am curious to know if there's anything in place to account for times when publishers patch in loot boxes after release (can't update the rating on physical copies already on shelves). Or if paid "experience boosters" don't count, since those are often tied to the ability to get loot boxes.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This is long overdue.
The kind of people who make a fuss about this stuff are usually the same ones that blindly get their kids 18+ games though, so who knows how much difference it's going to make.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I am curious to know if there's anything in place to account for times when publishers patch in loot boxes after release (can't update the rating on physical copies already on shelves). Or if paid "experience boosters" don't count, since those are often tied to the ability to get loot boxes.

According to the ESRB website if a DLC changes the core product that DLC has to be submitted separately, and if that DLC is required a rating change for the core product itself. It would be easy for digital store fronts, but I’d imagine to comply physical products would need to change their rating to reflect the new ESRB rating, by either stickers or new printed sleeves.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The kind of people who make a fuss about this stuff are usually the same ones that blindly get their kids 18+ games though, so who knows how much difference it's going to make.

Agreed .
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if the ACB will follow suit. It would be good if they did.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Any game with "paid random items" should be, at minimum, a T/PEGI 12. I think it's a fair compromise to put them in the same rating tier as simulated gambling, as the mechanisms may not be identical to gambling but are similar enough they're not appropriate for young children.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Any game with "paid random items" should be, at minimum, a T/PEGI 12. I think it's a fair compromise to put them in the same rating tier as simulated gambling, as the mechanisms may not be identical to gambling but are similar enough they're not appropriate for young children.

I don’t know about that. Look at iOS and Android games for kids. Marketing those games for like 5 year olds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1