• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hinamatsuri Comedy Manga Ends With 19th Volume This Summer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:29 am Reply with quote
Welp it was good while it lasted, even got a amazing anime along with it.
Moontei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:31 am Reply with quote
Well that certainly dwindles the prospect for a S2. =(
John N Swegan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:46 am Reply with quote
My favorite manga is coming to an end. I'll miss Hina and the characters I've come to know and love.

It's been a wonderful trip these past few years and Otake has done a great job allowing the characters to grow, not only physically but also emotionally. Little Hina has already gone from a prepubescent girl to a young woman. Nitta spoiler[ has moved up the ranks in the Yakuza]. Anzu went from being expendable hired muscle to spoiler[ becoming a young business owner]. Mao was the big surprise spoiler[as she runs an international martial arts school with a romantic interest]. Hitomi proves herself always the overachiever.

Two things I'll suggest to One Peace Books:
    First step up the translations to catch up quickly.

Second: check out what the scanlators have done to guide you through future volumes.
      Scanlators appear to catch the passion of the story somewhat better than the official translators do. I'll continue buying each volume as they come out for as long as I can. I just finished rereading volume 3, and will start on volume 4 later today. Volume 3 ended on chapter 16, which is fine, but keeping up with the scanlators, the last chapter I read was Chapter 96.

That said, the end of Hinamatsuri feels like when my own daughters left home. Like those daughters, though, I can always drop by for a visit. Actually, it'll be easier because I don't have to leave the house: just step over to the bookcase and pick up a volume.
micah007

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:48 am Reply with quote
Currently reading the official translations. I love the surreal comedy aspects and was surprised to find out some early gags weren't adopted into the anime. Perhaps my favorite in the early series was spoiler[ Hina and the class being held hostage by a gunman and Hina proceeding to reform him.]. Then there was another one where spoiler[the wrong Yakuza guys ended up being killed for something that was another characters fault] .Doesn't sound like it could be funny but you'd be surprised with this series.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Still sad we never got a season 2.
-Nata

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Moontei wrote:

Not really. The first season covered the first 9 volumes and skipped chapters. We can easily get a season 2.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
-Nata wrote:
Moontei wrote:

Not really. The first season covered the first 9 volumes and skipped chapters. We can easily get a season 2.

The question is if the first season was primarily meant to advertise the manga or if was expected to make a profit on its own. If it's the former, then a season 2 may not happen since the source material is ending. I would certainly hope for the latter though, especially with how much passion seemed to be put into the animation.

Studio feel. is probably going to be backed up for a while regardless, since Oregairu S3 was delayed, so I wouldn't expect anything soon if it's going to happen. I wouldn't want another studio handling a second season, at least.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised, it feels like things are dragging on for too long
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1