• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Co-Produces By the Grace of the Gods TV Anime Scheduled for Fall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:04 am Reply with quote
It's got some decent players associated with it. Could be good I guess. I'm usually at least up for trying out an isekai. (The slime faces do seem a tad silly though)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:29 am Reply with quote
If it's anything like the last anime I remember them "co-producing" - FLCL 2 and 3 - then no thanks. The less influence they have the better.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote
I was expecting Funimation to co-produce an anime, especially since they’re owned by Sony now.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote
they have been doing that since at least the Mass Effect and Dragon Age movies
me_barron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
A lot of slimes lately. Wonder why? Show looks cute regardless. Just a boy and his slimes.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote
This could well be the least interesting-sounding isekai concept I've ever seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Wonder how long before production on it gets delayed
Ampharos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of lighter, fluffier isekais instead of violence and fanservice isekais. Maybe that makes me boring but these upcoming cheerful series are definitely more my bag. (Who am I kidding though I'll watch anything Laughing)
Demonskid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
So happy seeing that this is getting animated, and with Funimation co-producing it, we'll be seeing a home release here in the west. The slimes all look adorable! >w<
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This could well be the least interesting-sounding isekai concept I've ever seen.

Still looking miles better than the healer one, which sounds like an orgy of angry otaku tropes and the least interesting to me.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:55 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
If it's anything like the last anime I remember them "co-producing" - FLCL 2 and 3 - then no thanks. The less influence they have the better.

Agreed. I am extremely wary of any company wanting to influence plots and writing. At least Netflix just throws the adaptations at the writers and leaves them alone.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
Progressive and Alternative were Toonami/Adult Swim creations, Funi wasn't involved in that. This is just your standard co-pro that both Funi and CR have been doing for years. They provide some funding for the show, get their names in the credits, and don't have to worry about loosing the license later on. nothing at all like the new FLCL's
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Agreed. I am extremely wary of any company wanting to influence plots and writing. At least Netflix just throws the adaptations at the writers and leaves them alone.

Did Funimation "influence" the plot and writing of Fire Force? Did they add their "agenda" to Fruits Basket '19? Don't believe everything (or anything) you hear from the anti-industry outrage merchants on YouTube.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:54 pm Reply with quote
The show does look cute, but I have to question whether this should be an isekai at all. It could easily work just as fine as a straight fantasy story, no isekai elements included. Having it be an isekai just seems tacky, especially if the elements don't really add anything to the overall narrative.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
The show does look cute, but I have to question whether this should be an isekai at all. It could easily work just as fine as a straight fantasy story, no isekai elements included. Having it be an isekai just seems tacky, especially if the elements don't really add anything to the overall narrative.

Isekai is the “in” genre presumably because its nature makes for more relatable protagonists. The fad should run its course before...2024.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2