• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses I'm in Love With the Villainess Novels, Roll Over and Die Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The first one sounds very interesting, as I am liking a lot the other isekai that did the same thing.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
That first one like a Venn diagram of my current stories of choice...
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
yesss I'm so glad I favor the villainess is coming out!! I sort of started reading a fan translation but I believe it's machine translated so it's a little awkward.
I am someone who also favors the villainess.

always happy to see more dowman seiman! I remember reading a little of this. In retrospect it's sort of like a crazier space verson of interspecies reviewers.
Calico

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I did enjoy reading I'm in Love with the Villainess... Up until it seriously compares spoiler[gay people to incest and implies that a blood-related brother-sister relationship is basically the same as the main character being a lesbian.] Would have loved it if they just excised that plot from the series entirely. And unfortunately, this book is the only series "reincarnated in an otome game" that actually has a lesbian main character, which I wish there was more of.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
Unfortunately, I did enjoy reading I'm in Love with the Villainess... Up until it seriously compares spoiler[gay people to incest and implies that a blood-related brother-sister relationship is basically the same as the main character being a lesbian.] Would have loved it if they just excised that plot from the series entirely. And unfortunately, this book is the only series "reincarnated in an otome game" that actually has a lesbian main character, which I wish there was more of.

Oh yikes, for real?
What a waste of a perfectly good storyline...what the heck.
Amy192

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I favour the villainess is one of my favourite novels so I am glad that it's being licensed (I am even paying on the pixiv fanbox thing)

They also licensed another one of my other favourite novels but they completely butchered the name, like how the f*ck did they change "Do You Think Someone Like You Can Defeat the Demon King?" to "ROLL OVER AND DIE: I Will Fight for an Ordinary Life with My Love and Cursed Sword!", it sounds cringy as hell.
Amy192

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
yesss I'm so glad I favor the villainess is coming out!! I sort of started reading a fan translation but I believe it's machine translated so it's a little awkward.
I am someone who also favors the villainess.

Yeah it was being machine translated but a translator cleaned it up recently
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Sadly most of those manga sound good, my poor wallet. Hopefully they will be on the Kindle.
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:

I was about to get excited for this until I read your comment. Thank you for the heads up. Reminds me of CLAMP and CCS. I don't know why these creators keep making these kind of comparisons.

I haven't heard of Hamefura having a canon, official choice for Catarina, but I do appreciate all of the bisexual leanings that are in it. That's the best option I know of so far.
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I remember suggesting I'm in Love With the Villainess on their surveys, excited for it.
TUSF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
I don't really see the issue. spoiler[From th main character's point of view, it's just a form of mutual love that society arbitrarily deems taboo.]
But I guess some people see that in all its forms as an absolute evil for some reason. Two consenting individuals can totally love each other as long as I approve, right?
luminary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:56 am Reply with quote
I always feels like I Favor the Villainess might be the most progressive LGBT series I've ever read. It never feels like it was pandering to an heterosexual audience.

I just hope that the LN editor would better edit some moments where the author basically self-insert herself into the series and start writing essays on LGBT issues. Mind you I don't mind those, but the way she put it in the WN is pretty immersion breaking.

I hope this will be popular with it's intended audience and that people won't dismiss it outright just because it didn't meet some arbitrary purity test standard.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:22 am Reply with quote
Calico wrote:

Wow, didn't even remember that part. Yikes. But I agree that it's definitely a premise I'd like to see more of.

In the case of "I'm in Love with the Villainess" I have to admit I was more in love with the premise than the actual story. It was decent, but I remember feeling somewhat unsatisfied after finishing it.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:55 am Reply with quote
Both yuri titels sound quite interesting. I hope they add both to Amazon shop for Kindle as it is a bit of a pain ordering printed books.

If I am not mistaken they licensed Spec-ops Asuka manga before but only for printed version. I was really mad about it.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:57 am Reply with quote
Calico wrote:

Are they the same thing? No. Not in context, at least. But should people about what consenting adult do? No.

Anywho, first time I hear about the work in question. I should check it out. That and Roll Over and Die.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2