• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu Streams 4 Digimon Anime Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully someday Data Squad and Fusion will follow suit.
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:

They will come, you just need to be patient. Also, does it means that each of these Digimon series have the subbed version along with the dubs?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Custom Apex wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:

They will come, you just need to be patient. Also, does it means that each of these Digimon series have the subbed version along with the dubs?

I don't know if subbed Digimon has ever been released here, on stream or disc.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Custom Apex wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:

Subbed Digimon are available on Crunchyroll (last couple couple seasons/Tri).Many years back subbed eps were actually on Netflix and I believe Hulu as well, and they had the first 3 seasons.

On disk, only Tri and the upcoming Kizuna movies have been available with a sub option.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Data Squad was never streamed under Cinedigm’s previous contract and they seem to have renewed it and Fusion’s dub streamed only on Netflix and I don’t recall it ever being on Hulu, so I doubt they’ll be on Hulu. And this stream is dub only. I just wonder if Cinedigm will re-release the DVDs as they’ve been going OOP in a lot of places. Thankfully I already have all the season sets myself.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
With this only Data Squad and Fusion aren't available dubbed. Tri subbed is on Crunchyroll. Tri dubbed is on Shout Factory TV. It's almost like Data Squad and Fusion are the forgotten stepchildren in the Digimon world, though Fusion is available subbed on Crunchyroll.

I guess Digimon Universe: Appli Monster is the real forgotten stepchild in the Digimon world.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Custom Apex wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:

I know for sure that the JPN version of Digimon Adventure and 02 were released in the US via streaming some years back. Pretty sure JPN version of 02 was either on Hulu or Crunchyroll, and I'm not sure if it was also on Netflix as well. I am 100% certain JPN Digimon Adventure was on US Netflix because they released it on (or around) August 1st, aka "Digimon Day/ Odaiba Day" , and I watched the entire season that first week[end] it was up for streaming.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Many years ago, at some point in time, Adventure 02 and Tamers had extremely poor subs offered on pay-per-episode services like Amazon Prime and the PlayStation Network. Later on, Adventure and 02 received competent subs on Netflix in 2013, with Tamers joining along in 2014. All three were removed on August 1, 2015.

Digimon Frontier, has never, absolutely ever, been officially subtitled in English. (same with Savers, but it's not a part of this article)
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Many years ago, at some point in time, Adventure 02 and Tamers had extremely poor subs offered on pay-per-episode services like Amazon Prime and the PlayStation Network. Later on, Adventure and 02 received competent subs on Netflix in 2013, with Tamers joining along in 2014. All three were removed on August 1, 2015.

Digimon Frontier, has never, absolutely ever, been officially subtitled in English. (same with Savers, but it's not a part of this article)

I remember those horrible subs. They had them on Crunchyroll and Funimation.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
Break Xerxes wrote:
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

I remember those horrible subs. They had them on Crunchyroll and Funimation.

To be honest, I thought the subs for Tamers were fine. Calumon literally carried Tamers for me. However, the subs for Adventure and 02 were not so great. Somehow, the dubs always seemed a bit better for Adventure and 02 to me.

I was a bit upset these last couple of months because Digimon seasons 1-3 were not available to stream anywhere legally. I was a bit relieved that Hulu picked it up, though I would've been happier with Netflix or Crunchyroll getting it. I'm starting to notice some of the older anime (1990s-2000s) has been quietly disappearing from streaming services over the last few years. It's almost like I need to buy these anime to make sure they are readily available when I want to watch them. So much for streaming having everything.

I'm looking forward to introducing my nephews and nieces to Digimon in the near future.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:05 am Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
With this only Data Squad and Fusion aren't available dubbed. Tri subbed is on Crunchyroll. Tri dubbed is on Shout Factory TV. It's almost like Data Squad and Fusion are the forgotten stepchildren in the Digimon world, though Fusion is available subbed on Crunchyroll.

I guess Digimon Universe: Appli Monster is the real forgotten stepchild in the Digimon world.
Data Squad and Fusion have been released on dubbed DVD boxsets and Appmon is available subbed on Crunchyroll under Digimon Universe Appli Monsters.

Quote:
I was a bit upset these last couple of months because Digimon seasons 1-3 were not available to stream anywhere legally. I was a bit relieved that Hulu picked it up, though I would've been happier with Netflix or Crunchyroll getting it. I'm starting to notice some of the older anime (1990s-2000s) has been quietly disappearing from streaming services over the last few years.
In the case of Digimon,Cinedigm's rights were about to expire and several of the DVD boxsets have also been going slowly out of print. But as of this update of Digimon going back to Hulu, Cinedigm seems to have renewed their contract. But I do wonder if they'll release new printing of the DVDs. I got the complete series set for Adventure through Frontier for like $90 off Amazon and I'm glad to own the show as Digimon is one of my favorites. If you're looking to own the show, that boxset is the best way to get the first four seasons at once and it comes with a poster. I got Data Squad and Fusion as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1