• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Comics Licenses 5 New Manga for Digital Debut in June

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:05 am Reply with quote
Hop Step Sing looks pretty cute. I'll check that out.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna' lie, Stellar Witch sounds like something out of the 90's Tanemura series; not in a bad way, but I feel like we don't get these kinds of stories all that often anymore.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest as much as i'm happy they're licensing stuff there's really no point in it if they're not printed. Since most shoujo fans/readers are collectors. Kodansha does licence shoujo but never prints them and this has really made the shoujo manga community dislike them
kpossibles

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:26 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Hop Step Sing looks pretty cute. I'll check that out.

The first 2 chapters are available for free in English on Comic Days! https://comic-days.com/episode/10834108156663302665

I do wish that they'd print more of their digital-first titles though Anime cry
manapear

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:36 am Reply with quote
YAY~! Stellar Witch is one of the series I asked for in the survey! It seemed like it would have a good chance of coming and could easily be brought to print. They're still on a magical girl spree, so that helps. I'm so glad though. (Kind of a shame they changed the title so, but at least it's cute and fitting.)

Nice to see the other series too, though Hop Step Sing is the only one I'm really interested in. Hopefully it has a chance at physical later too.

#908225 wrote:
I'll be honest as much as i'm happy they're licensing stuff there's really no point in it if they're not printed. Since most shoujo fans/readers are collectors. Kodansha does licence shoujo but never prints them and this has really made the shoujo manga community dislike them

I mostly agree. I hate that so many of their male-aimed titles can go to print from the get, while the shojo audience has to play the waiting game and support digital first for a chance. We're basically expected to double-dip for a series and prove our support, which is silly. I've seen a lot of complaints about all of the publishers for the double standards, but especially with Kodansha. Hopefully something changes at some point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1