• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.S. Customs Seizes Over 86,000 Counterfeit Pokémon Figures

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I don't think they needed to worry about anyone thinking those are legit, someone please put that poor "Blaziken" out of its misery!

Granted, yes, the IP and safety concerns are all good reasons, but good lord are those ugly.
JWagnesh8

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Got to catch them all, I suppose.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
These horribly made figures from china have been around since like 20 years now, even when I was a child myself they were on like every flea market xD At this point there are probably like millions of them around the world...
It's nice that they do something about them, but I don't think catching single shipments like that will do anything.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Not only do they look awful and who knows what cheap materials they are made from, but fake plush and plush "rejects" can also be legitimately dangerous. You know those fake $5 plush you see on eBay or even Amazon via 3rd parties all the time? Usually they also look off, but these should especially never be given to children. From people that have bought plush to use the stitching patterns to make their own fanmade plush, I have heard stories of fakes being stuffed with newspapers and even bandages (and who knows if they were used previously or not). Factory "rejects" are when plush in legitimate factories are meant to be destroyed, but workers steal them on site and take them home to eBay. These have been sometimes found to have broken off needles still stuck in them (one of the reasons why they were meant to be tossed...)

Say what you want on the debate on authentic or if you don't care it's a fake, but those have me keeping far, far away from fakes...
harminia

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I have over 100 pokemon figurines and a good portion of them would be bootleg (in fact, probably 80% or more would be...)
They're kinda ugly and tacky but they have their charm, you know?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
$600,000 if they were authentic... so the real ones are supposedly worth $7 each? For just tiny plastic toys, with no moving parts? Maybe I'm out of touch on what kid's toys cost these days, but that seems like a lot, especially with no packaging or anything.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
$600,000 if they were authentic... so the real ones are supposedly worth $7 each? For just tiny plastic toys, with no moving parts? Maybe I'm out of touch on what kid's toys cost these days, but that seems like a lot, especially with no packaging or anything.

It's kind of a weird calculation, too. Pokemon figures have gone through several different toy companies, each that looked very different from each other in different sizes. Some of the original Tomy figures (that Hasbro licensed out during the initial boom) actually HAVE kept their value over the years and some are pretty rare.

I think it's because these are charged way too much for whatever price they would be going for. They look like they cost barely 5 cents to make, but I've seen them for sale at various shops for a few dollars each, still.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1