• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season Part 3

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:57 am Reply with quote
Oooo

First part has just finished airing. (Source - Its 2am - I live in Japan and have NHK plus )

Final part - Autum 2023

Now for the controversial bit...

spoiler[
Covers

Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134

Still 5 chapters to go for the final part
]

Let the bitching commence about balance etc!

Last edited by gumbaloom on Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify

spoiler[
The very last scene is Armin on the back of the Eren Titan

And to quote the summary from Manga planet

>>>>>>
As the head of Eren's Titan turns back to look at them, Armin says that he has one more question for him. What is it about Eren that is free? He can answer after they force him out.
>>>>>>>

It literally ends with that

How the heck are they going to do 5 chapters in the last part - if they average 25 mins per chapter we:re talking a full 2 hour fim right to cover it properly !?

]
Theozilla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:43 pm Reply with quote
This special/episode adapted 4 chapters though not 3, it was chapters 131-134 (i.e. all of Volume 33). Minus about 11 pages from chapter 134 that I bet will be used as the opening scene for the second special.

The last 5 chapters also contain some heavy action so pacing-wise they will probably be able to be adapted quicker than other dialogue heavy chapters.
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:58 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Based on this review,James is going to be really [expletive] disappointed at the ending to AoT. He's probaly going to be almost as upset as people were about the ending to Wonder Egg Priority.]
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:13 am Reply with quote
Theozilla wrote:
This special/episode adapted 4 chapters though not 3, it was chapters 131-134 (i.e. all of Volume 33). Minus about 11 pages from chapter 134 that I bet will be used as the opening scene for the second special.

The last 5 chapters also contain some heavy action so pacing-wise they will probably be able to be adapted quicker than other dialogue heavy chapters.

OK I stand corrected - thats what you get for posting at 2am

But even so - 5 chapters in presumably 1 hour of footage seems a bit of a stretch doesn't it ?.

We were going at 1 - 1.5 chapters per 21? minutes up till now so hope its a little extended to do it justice compared to part 1...
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:28 am Reply with quote
While it's frustrating to see how season 4 has been so awkwardly split, the show itself is just so good. I loved the way they depicted the horror of the rumbling, and Hange dying in the most Hange way possible (RIP Crying or Very sad). But the little moments were so good too, like Kiyomi's speech about the basic respect we owe to each other, or Ymir pulling an Ayanami Rei with Ramzi. Also, I agree that Armin and Annie's romance is adorable.

Funnily enough, the only time I teared up during this emotionally packed episode was when everyone was waving Annie goodbye. I'm just so fond of these characters that finally seeing them working together and then parting ways really got to me.

But you know, as much as I love Attack on Titan, I can't really say I'm gonna miss it when it's done. I read the manga as it was coming out, so I've already had plenty of time to process my grief. If anything, I wish the anime would've ended sooner, since delaying the ending does it more harm than good. But oh well, we all know how complicated things can be behind the scenes.

P.S.: By the way, during the rumbling scene at the beginning, there's a married couple that's trapped in a room, and the wife tells the husband that "judgment day has come" for them. Are those Eren's grandparents? If so, that's a cool little anime only addition. It looks like they were detained after Zeke's betrayal, and then the Marleyans simply left them there once they saw the rumbling coming.

primalmaximus wrote:
spoiler[Based on this review,James is going to be really [expletive] disappointed at the ending to AoT. He's probaly going to be almost as upset as people were about the ending to Wonder Egg Priority.]

spoiler[Wanna make a bet just for fun? Based on his review, I bet you James is gonna like the ending. We'll see next Fall Laughing]
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:42 am Reply with quote
Picking up again after a year away makes it so difficult to keep up with all the details. To wit, whatever became of Historia and her pregnancy? I noticed one pregnant character in a quick whip-around sequence, but lost track of whether that was Historia or just another rando victim.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Perhaps just those words that the old horseman spoke, when the seals were being broken at the close of a different story: “Come and see.”

I'll probably feel stupid when I hear the answer, but what is this a reference to?
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:59 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Picking up again after a year away makes it so difficult to keep up with all the details. To wit, whatever became of Historia and her pregnancy? I noticed one pregnant character in a quick whip-around sequence, but lost track of whether that was Historia or just another rando victim.

Exactly. I might be in the minority, but I would have preferred that the content in these two "specials" be released in a weekly, episodic format, even if the number of episodes didn't constitute a "full" cour. If waiting until later this year or sometime in 2024 was required, I'd be absolutely fine with waiting. There's no shortage of television, gaming, and real life to experience. If we survived the gap between S1 and S2, we can easily survive waiting a bit longer for this final product without having the half a year's gap in between. It seems silly to complain about waiting when my preferred alternative was ALSO waiting, but these gaps take me out of the moment, and I can't justify rewatching the whole series in anticipation for the "final" season for a third time. We've seen how overworked the production team is, so waiting another half year or full year to see the entire final product would have benefited them as well. I could never survive in that kind of work environment.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:17 am Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps just those words that the old horseman spoke, when the seals were being broken at the close of a different story: “Come and see.”

I'll probably feel stupid when I hear the answer, but what is this a reference to?

Presumably the Book of Revelation from the Bible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_seals
#Droneku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:03 am Reply with quote
Predicting James reaction to the finale!:

spoiler[He will absolutely hate (like everyone else) the focus in romantic love and codependency as the climax of the series. But will like the cynic take on the politics of war (they try to do diplomacy after the supernatural element is out), specially if they adapt the volume release panels (but everyone dies at the end anyway).][/spoiler]
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:05 am Reply with quote
I felt this episode was a cinematic marvel. I’ve spoiled myself on the ending, but I really want to see it in full.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Really great review!

I was honestly impressed with how much they fit into this special and how the animation quality didn't dip at all throughout its run. Slightly bummed about the 8-month wait for the rest, but it is what it is. I've seen the end, at least; I can wait.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Really great review!

I was honestly impressed with how much they fit into this special and how the animation quality didn't dip at all throughout its run. Slightly bummed about the 8-month wait for the rest, but it is what it is. I've seen the end, at least; I can wait.

I keep hearing people say that the animation quality was top notch, and I won't dispute that there was a lot of gorgeous animation. However, I'd personally rate the visuals as 8.75 out of 10, which is still pretty damn good. When compared to most animated series in this day and age, the animation in this special is like night and day, but by AoT's standards, I noticed some dips in quality, like spoiler[the scene with Hange, Erwin, and the other deceased Scouts]. I imagine the Blu Ray release will fix moments like that, but I think this "episode" could have benefited from more time in production. Then again, I'd be terrified to hear how many hours of work already went into this special (and during such a short window of time).
kurichan69

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I loved this episode.

I don't think the animation quality was as high as the raves on other sites would suggest. It's certainly better than the episodes from the previous season, but it definitely isn't movie quality, which is disappointing considering how long we've waited and how much longer we need to wait until episode 2. That being said, I was thrilled to see ODM gear sequences, especially Hange's epic work. If you weren't bawling about what happened after that, then, well, I can't help you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5