Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guardian of the Witch Manga Ends in Shonen Jump Magazine


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ultimatehaki



Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Posts: 1089
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
Not surprised. This wasn't very compelling
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JonDoe



Joined: 14 Oct 2019
Posts: 72
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not the least bit surprised that this manga is getting axed, considering how lackluster it is. And Shonen Jump has had way more misses than hits these past few years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blankslate



Joined: 30 Jun 2015
Posts: 412
Location: Atlanta, GA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
It started off super interesting with criticism of religion and social stratification but played its hand a little too early.
Plus the shonen genre really held it back (a bunch of unnecessary fights, the classic "friendship conquers all," etc.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scion Drake



Joined: 25 Nov 2017
Posts: 696
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
The art also wasn’t very good. A lot of paneling issues & mistakes, artist got kinda sloppy.

Hopefully they improve in their next work cause the artistic blunders could be really noticeable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ushio



Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Posts: 536
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
I'm not the least bit surprised that this manga is getting axed, considering how lackluster it is. And Shonen Jump has had way more misses than hits these past few years.



Shounen Jump has always had a lot of misses every 3-6 months that cancel at least a couple of titles and always have.

The difference is now when these flops are cancelled it actually gets an article, go back 3+ years and unless it was a hit manga ending jump ending a manga hardly ever got an article.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Morry



Joined: 26 Jun 2016
Posts: 666
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it lost me after a few chapters. Something about it felt janky.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kpossibles



Joined: 01 Dec 2018
Posts: 80
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really care for this series and I guess a lot of the Jump readers in Japan didn't like it too much either.

Fyi if an Encyclopedia admin could approve the series, that would be nice
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/new-manga.php?approve=1691738601
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FlareKnight



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 129
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised. I didn't hate it or anything, but I didn't really love it either. One of those series that wasn't likely to last long unless it really did something to pull people in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
harminia



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 1262
Location: australia
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote
yeah, no surprise. I was following it for a few chapters because I liked the designs, but it just wasn't grabbing me and I quit after the first battle with the super strong duo (I loved the bad guy chick's name though. I forget what it was but it was so cute)

sort of had potential but also felt so dully shonen jump that I didn't expect it to achieve much anyway. Definitely one of the titles I had in my "will probably get the axe soon" list

good luck to the mangaka, I hope they can have success with something else.
Interested to see what replaces it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Somewhere



Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 361
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Yea, we all saw this one coming. Decent first chapter, but pace and world building felt off pretty soon afterward.

kpossibles wrote:
I didn't really care for this series and I guess a lot of the Jump readers in Japan didn't like it too much either.


Presumably that's the case. Though, I'd say the same thing, but with different emphasis; it's a case of few Jump readers in Japan loving it. To recap for the readers out there, the weekly feedback mechanism's basically a top 3 ballot, IIRC (ie, you vote for your #1/#2/#3 of the week). Example. So, strictly speaking, "it's alright, but it's nothing amazing" wouldn't be all that different from "it's bleh"... outside of the extreme cases where readers actively hate something to the point of forcing a 1 (or 1 point something) volume end (hello there, Mutou Black and your 12 chapters!).

So with that said, looking at Japanese twitter, almost nobody from a pool of ~160-200 users submitted #1/2/3 votes for Guardian of the Witch after its first chapter. And it was easily dead last among the serializations during its lifespan. If that sample is remotely representative of the voting Jump base at all, yea, reception there was probably ice cold.

Here's the real mystery: it was already announced that this batch is introducing 4 new series, with this week being the debut of #3. Will another series depart next week to make room for the newcomer? If so, who's it likely to be? Guardian was an easy one to predict, but the remaining series are doing... less blatantly poor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Replica_Rabbit



Joined: 23 Aug 2015
Posts: 195
Location: Portland
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
I'm not the least bit surprised that this manga is getting axed, considering how lackluster it is. And Shonen Jump has had way more misses than hits these past few years.

Disagree, Chainsaw Man, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Act-Age are hits (they are the most recent). I have a feeling when they get there anime there popularity will skyrocket (dear lord, I want a Chainsaw Man anime)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JonDoe



Joined: 14 Oct 2019
Posts: 72
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
JonDoe wrote:
I'm not the least bit surprised that this manga is getting axed, considering how lackluster it is. And Shonen Jump has had way more misses than hits these past few years.

Disagree, Chainsaw Man, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Act-Age are hits (they are the most recent). I have a feeling when they get there anime there popularity will skyrocket (dear lord, I want a Chainsaw Man anime)


Whoopee, all you did was point out three moderately popular manga that have come out in the last two years. Yet your forgetting about the dozens of manga they've cancelled in that same time frame. Zipman, Samurai 8, Hell Warden, Beast Children, Tokyo Shinobi Squad and so many more. So my point still stands.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lossthief



Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 745
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:03 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:


Whoopee, all you did was point out three moderately popular manga that have come out in the last two years. Yet your forgetting about the dozens of manga they've cancelled in that same time frame. Zipman, Samurai 8, Hell Warden, Beast Children, Tokyo Shinobi Squad and so many more. So my point still stands.


That's...pretty normal, honestly. I actually keep a running list of series that enter and exit Jump starting with 2010, and every year has at least 8 or so series that get axed before they last even a year, and certainly before they get an anime adaptation.

2010: 8 new series added, all cancelled within a year.
2011: 10 new series added, 9 cancelled within a year. 1 remeaining: Nisekoi, ran for 5 years and got 2 seasons of anime
2012: 12 new series. 9 cancelled within a year. 3 remaining: Haikyu!!, Assassination Classroom, all 3 received anime with the latter 2 receiving more or less full adaptations. Haikyu!! is still running
2013: 11 new series added. 9 cancelled. 2 remaining: World Trigger, Isobe Isobee Monogatari. WT received an anime adaptation before the manga went on an extended hiatus, Isobe was a gag series that ran in the back of each issue and received a series of web only shorts.
2014: 14 new sereis added. 12 cancelled within a year. 2 remaining: My Hero Academia, Hinomaru Sumo. MHA is of course still going, and Sumo received a partial anime adaptation shortly before it ended.
2015: 12 new series added. 9 cancelled within a year. 3 remaining: Black Clover, Straighten Up!, Samon the Summoner. Black Clover is still running and has an ongoing anime adaptation. Straighten Up and Samon are the odd ducks where they both ran for about 2 years before getting axed, I assume because readership dropped off as time went on.
2016: 10 new series added,6 cancelled within a year. 4 remaining: Yuuna & The Haunted Hot Springs, Demon Slayer, The Promised Neverland, Spring Weapon No. 1. The first 3 received anime adaptations, while Spring Weapon ended up axed after a year and change.
2017: 11 new series, 8 cancelled within a year. Remaining: We Never Learn, Dr. Stone, Robot x Laserbeam. First 2 received anime adaptations, with WNL looking to end later this year. RxL was cancelled after about a year.
2018: 14 new series, 11 cancelled. Remaining: Act-Age, Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man. Of the 3, JJK is getting an anime and alread seen a pretty sizable jump in sales, and Chainsaw Man is selling gangbusters even without any announce adaptation
2019: 10 series added, 7 cancelled as of writing this post. The 3 remaining are ranging anywhere from "meh" to "abysmal" sales/readership wise. This is the first year since 2010 that seems to not have anything that's managed to stick, though maybe Yozakura Family or Spirit Busters will manage to stick it out.

On the topic of, well, the actual topic, I'm sad to see Guardian of the Witch go, but not surprised. Of the 3 series it was added within, it easily seemed like the one with the most potential, but after the early chapters it quickly lost its flavor and just turned into another by the numbers battle series. Mashle at least seems to be hanging around for a bit, and is still consistently funny, meanwhile I gave up on Undead Unluck after the 300th joke about the male lead groping his partner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ultimatehaki



Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Posts: 1089
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Yea, we all saw this one coming. Decent first chapter, but pace and world building felt off pretty soon afterward.

kpossibles wrote:
I didn't really care for this series and I guess a lot of the Jump readers in Japan didn't like it too much either.


Presumably that's the case. Though, I'd say the same thing, but with different emphasis; it's a case of few Jump readers in Japan loving it. To recap for the readers out there, the weekly feedback mechanism's basically a top 3 ballot, IIRC (ie, you vote for your #1/#2/#3 of the week). Example. So, strictly speaking, "it's alright, but it's nothing amazing" wouldn't be all that different from "it's bleh"... outside of the extreme cases where readers actively hate something to the point of forcing a 1 (or 1 point something) volume end (hello there, Mutou Black and your 12 chapters!).

So with that said, looking at Japanese twitter, almost nobody from a pool of ~160-200 users submitted #1/2/3 votes for Guardian of the Witch after its first chapter. And it was easily dead last among the serializations during its lifespan. If that sample is remotely representative of the voting Jump base at all, yea, reception there was probably ice cold.

Here's the real mystery: it was already announced that this batch is introducing 4 new series, with this week being the debut of #3. Will another series depart next week to make room for the newcomer? If so, who's it likely to be? Guardian was an easy one to predict, but the remaining series are doing... less blatantly poor.


We got 4 new titles now tho.
1. Bone collection
2. Time paradox ghostwriter
3. Ayakashi triangle
4. Magu Chan destruction God (debuted today)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Somewhere



Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 361
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, "And Shonen Jump has had way more misses than hits these past few years. " is a technically true statement, but as Ushio said, it's normal.
Pure numbers-wise, yea, the vast majority of newcomers will die off within a year, and then the task of surviving past one's 2nd anniversary cuts the numbers down even further. And that's true every year, decade in, decade out. The pursuit of stars is Jump's thing.

And speaking of which, 'past few years' probably isn't the best time period to use for what the original poster presumably wanted to get across. As Replica-Rabbit mentioned, Act-Age, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Chainsaw Man are successful (their sales numbers are more than moderately popular by industry standards, actually; if you think otherwise, your perspective on the industry may be rather skewed). They're more than enough to consider the class of 2018 to be a pretty good one (well, calendar year 2018; Chainsaw Man was in the first issue of publication year 2019). One or two sticking around is about the average for a year, with some years producing 0 noteworthy series. The period between Medaka Box (May 2009) to Nisekoi (Nov 2011) would be a particularly rough example.
Unless your bar is something like the Nisekoi->Haikyuu->Saiki Kusuo no PSI-nan->Assassination Classroom run, but that was an insanely good stretch; it is far from the norm.

lossthief: speaking of Undead Unluck.... you probably absolutely disagree with the pool of Japanese twitter users I mentioned earlier, as that's been their clear cut favorite series in all of WSJ for the past few months Razz
(I use this)

Edit:
ultimatehaki wrote:
We got 4 new titles now tho.
1. Bone collection
2. Time paradox ghostwriter
3. Ayakashi triangle
4. Magu Chan destruction God (debuted today)


Bone Collection and Time Paradox Ghostwriter aren't included in the batch that was announced recently. I think that those two replaced Zipman and Samurai 8.
And I was wrong! There's two more series coming after Magu-chan! 'Shakunetsu no Nirai Kanai' as well as 'Boku to Roboko' are due to come in over the next couple of issues.
...but the original question of 4 new series in, 4 series head out still stands! Kimetsu no Yaiba, Yuragi Yuuna, and Guardian of the Witch out. Will a 4th series need to leave as well?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group