• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Our Dreams At Dusk: Shimanami Tasogare Vol 1-4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I really like this manga, even though I'm straight as a board. I really liked one of the mangaka's first series, Nabari no Ou, and I eventually read this from a friend's recommendation, and now I own every volume. I love all of the characters and everything about it, though the detail in the characters' faces and mouths could be a bit much at times. I also like how the manga doesn't necessarily portray people in certain situations as being entirely in the right (The Misora/Tasuku fight in volume 2), but it still lets you understand where they're coming from without excusing the actions of either party. It's a nice gray area that allows the characters to be more dynamic and three-dimensional, flaws and all. Nobody said main characters had to be all nice goody two-shoes milque toast slates all the time.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Reading this, I could not but help but be reminded of Zac & Jacob.
Vadarth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
"Some men are in fact trans women and wear women's clothes;"

No, no men are trans women. 0. Why? Because trans women are women, not men. Trans women were never men, thus no man can be a trans woman. I have always been a woman, never a man. Being mistakenly perceived as a man does not make me one, no matter how long it occurred for.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Vadarth wrote:
"Some men are in fact trans women and wear women's clothes;"

No, no men are trans women. 0. Why? Because trans women are women, not men. Trans women were never men, thus no man can be a trans woman. I have always been a woman, never a man. Being mistakenly perceived as a man does not make me one, no matter how long it occurred for.

I'm going to assume this was meant more as a "those assigned male at birth" rather than "transwomen are *really* just men", but was worderd such as to be more inviting for straight audiences who might assume that a transwoman is "a man who becomes a woman" rather than someone who is and always was a woman.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:12 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

I'm going to assume this was meant more as a "those assigned male at birth" rather than "transwomen are *really* just men", but was worderd such as to be more inviting for straight audiences who might assume that a transwoman is "a man who becomes a woman" rather than someone who is and always was a woman.

While this is probably the case, it's still a very poor sentence. (It's also not being inviting towards the straight audience exactly, but the cis or straight cis audience.) We shouldn't coddle cis people as the expense of trans identity.

On another note, I wish there was some overall short explanation behind the scores like other reviews have had. What did the reviewer not like about the art and story? The review describes the story and elements they connected with, but no negatives. A smaller quibble is the author is nonbinary as well as asexual, which feels odd to ignore (especially considering a particular character). I fall under both identities, and both are important to me.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This reads more like a summary than a review. Kinda disappointing for such a great series.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This series was absolutely STUNNING and manga as a whole needs more positive LGBTQ+ representation.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:31 am Reply with quote
I haven’t finished the series and I mostly really like it. But it bothers me that the drop in center is presented similarly to a community center or mental health clubhouse, but there are no actual mental health professionals working (or volunteering) there. To be fair, the story never implies that the drop in center is anything other than a loose meet up space with for LGBTQ+ adults and teens. But this story starts with a teenaged character contemplating suicide, and in the next volume he’s encouraged to help a another kid only slightly younger than himself who is dealing with a very different issue, one the older teen has no experience with whatsoever—without the adults’ supervision or even advice. Why is a teen who has literally just started to come to terms with his sexuality expected to provide support with a younger child who is trying to figure out their gender identity? Of course it didn’t go smoothly!
As a trained Mental Health Peer Counselor, it really bothered me to see the adults so blasé about the kids’ struggles, and the outing between the two kids seemed like a Very Bad Idea. They really should look into getting an LGBTQ+ specialized mental health professional to volunteer or work at the drop in center. It’s a great place, but it’s outright dangerous to not take suicide attempts seriously and offer real help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1