• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Her Blue Sky

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely in broad agreement with this take (in fact, I think it's my favorite of the bunch because there is, comparatively, so little screaming of people's names), and I'd like to add that the sound mix is absolutely glorious, as is appropriate for a movie about musicians. I love the small scale and modest ambitions of this anime.

However, I must lodge the complaint that the film falls victim to another Okada issue, introducing a pair of secondary characters who are at least as interesting as the main cast, giving them about three quarters of a fantastic character arc, and then abandoning them as they kind of throw up their hands and go, "oh well, we were never protagonists anyway." It's not as bad here as it is with nearly the whole cast of Maquia, but it's still mildly frustrating.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
You know, climaxes do not have to be in the style of light novel battles to count as 'good animation'. I had this gripe with the Violet Side Story review as well. The animation doesn't have to be Mob Psycho or HeroAca-level to be considered an 'A'. I think good character animation is pretty hard to pull off, especially considering how many cardboard-like movements there are in modern day anime (outside of kids anime). The climax scene had wonderful animation. But it's fine, let readers lower their epectations. It will make it so much better when they do watch it.

I also like this film more than Anthem of the Heart, but it couldn't quite get to AnoHana level. But AnoHana is a full tv series, so there's actually no competition.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
You know, climaxes do not have to be in the style of light novel battles to count as 'good animation'. I had this gripe with the Violet Side Story review as well.

I looked up the Violet Side Story review and this is the paragraph that talks about the animation:

Quote:
The production values are also completely in step with Kyoto Animation's reputation and legacy. Violet Evergarden was one of Kyoto Animation's most beautiful productions ever, and that remains true for Eternity and the Auto Memories Doll. The compositing and lighting are standouts, successfully replicating live-action film techniques in order to convey a unique ambiance among animated works. Save for one delightfully exuberant ballroom scene, the character animation is restrained, focusing on subtle and understated movements that convey volumes about their emotions.

It's all praise, and the animation score is an A. Perhaps you're misremembering?
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Aoi and Akane's parents passed away in an accident 13 years ago

No offense but, another orphan cliche strikes again and I'm tired of it. It makes wonder, are orphans really exist in modern day Japan, despite that Japan has a low crime and homicide rates. I felt that animes doesn't believe child/children should have parents and instead, kill them off. What a cliche.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 am Reply with quote
OK, so on the one hand, it's been less than a year since the film premiered and there's a long-standing custom of licensees keeping their agreement with the licensor under wraps for an indeterminate period of time. I get that.

But on the other hand, the Encyclopedia page lists licensees for Spain, Italy and Russia.

So I don't get it; what's different enough about the previously-listed markets that the licensees in their respective markets have made announcements but it doesn't make sense for an English licensor to make an announcement? Unless I missed it, it would appear that there aren't even any English streaming rights.

I'm definitely missing something(s?) here; but I have no clue as to what that might be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1